dixon speedztr 30 stopped running

mhinchey4

Forum Newbie
Threads
my mower stopped running while mowing the yard. it shut down and would not restart. it has seat, steering lever, brake and blade engage sensors. is it likely one of those stopped functioning?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you say restart do you mean that it won't do anything when you turn the key, or it cranks but doesn't start. The difference can direct what direction to look for your problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the oil level.
From memory Dixion fit low oil switches which either sht dow or prevent starting if the oil level is too low.

mhinchey4

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you say restart do you mean that it won't do anything when you turn the key, or it cranks but doesn't start. The difference can direct what direction to look for your problem.

it makes 1 click sound but doesnt turn over. like a security switch wont let it run.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Since it shutdown while mowing, did you remember to turn off the deck before attempting to start. The safety shutdown circuit is normally separate from the starting circuit. So I am wondering if you have had a major failure. Can you turn the engine over by hand,

mhinchey4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since it shutdown while mowing, did you remember to turn off the deck before attempting to start. The safety shutdown circuit is normally separate from the starting circuit. So I am wondering if you have had a major failure. Can you turn the engine over by hand,

I did. I put everything into safety position to start. Nothing. How do you turn the engine over by hand? It’s electric start.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most engines have a rotating screen that you can put you hand on to turn the flywheel. I am just making sure it will turn a completer revolution before checking other things, Making sure it just died and not locked up.

mhinchey4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most engines have a rotating screen that you can put you hand on to turn the flywheel. I am just making sure it will turn a completer revolution before checking other things, Making sure it just died and not locked up.

Yes, it turns.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
the location of that click could be helpful in locating the problem May need to take the battery out and have it tested to make sure it hasn't discharged, or at least put it on a charger and see if it has ran down due to a faulty charging system. If you have a fuel solenoid on the carb it will cause the engine to die if the charging system isn't working and the battery has ran down. Most of the time when a safety switch goes bad you don't get a click when attempting to start, normal you get no sound at all.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Veryu important is it a click or a klunk ?
There are two things that go click when you turn the ignition on.
1) the fuel solenoid, it is small so makes a light click
2) the starter solenoid which is big and makes a klunk.

And have you checked the oil level as asked back in post # 3 ?
Do you have a voltmeter ?
IF so what is the battery voltage ?

What engine dose your Dixon have in it ?

To shut down while mowing either the magneto shut down or the fuel solenoid shut down.
While there could have been mechanical problems usually they prevent you from rotating the engine by hand.

Things that cause the magneto to shut down while mowing are generally a short to ground of one of the safety switches , or a very flat battery if it has an ignition relay.
Things that cause the fuel solenoid to shut down are a loose / broken wire or a very low battery .