First Zero Turn...Looking at Toro/Exmark

Point37

Threads
<1 acre...~5% slope...would like to speed up the time i spend cutting the lawn which is why i'm looking at a zero turn...have been doing some reading but not a ton...

wants/needs
-needs to have an easily removable bagger
-would like the ability to tow/push a thatcher, spreader, roller and garden cart...wouldn't need these often but i would imagine they don't put tow hitches on zero turns for nothing
-needs 42"-48" fab deck...for maneuverability around obstacles in yard and a better cut with some uneven ground...mower + bagger have to fit through a 6' wide shed door
-needs hydrostatic drive
-wide front tires would be a plus as sometimes my yard gets pretty wet due to the way the water sheds on the property...so while i want well built to last a long time but i don't want commercial heavy
-kawasaki or other 20+hp reliable engine
-has the power to pull in the small branches that fall from the trees in my yard...too many to pick up
-easy deck removal
-easy oil changes

These were the brands on my research list...and i believe i've whittled it down to toro/exmark...

Exmark
Scag
Kubota
Husqvarna
Toro
John Deere
Gravely
Ariens
Bad Boy
Hustler

these are the 2 models i have narrowed it down to...not too sure on the differences between the 2 since toro owns exmark...what do you guys think?...thanks in advance

toro
mx4250 + bagger + weight kit...has arm rests, tow hitch and hour meter
https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/riding-mowers/timecutter-mx4250-74760

exmark
quest e series 42 + arm rest kit + bagger +hour meter + weight kit + hitch kit
https://www.exmark.com/products/mowers/zero-turn/quest/quest-e-series?m=QZE708GEM42200

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like they don't make the Exmark in 42 inch anymore. Leftover unit I guess? The new Quests are a lot different.

You say you want a fabricated deck but both of those units have stamped decks based on the specs I'm looking at. Also the EZT transmission on them isn't the best for towing/hauling stuff around. I can't help but think that you need to upgrade to a more robust machine.

Point37

Threads
Looks like they don't make the Exmark in 42 inch anymore. Leftover unit I guess? The new Quests are a lot different.

You say you want a fabricated deck but both of those units have stamped decks based on the specs I'm looking at. Also the EZT transmission on them isn't the best for towing/hauling stuff around. I can't help but think that you need to upgrade to a more robust machine.

thanks...but where are you getting the specs from?...i got the specs from the manufacturers websites (which i can't post cause i don't have 5 posts yet)...the quest comes in a 42" and both the quest and the mx4250 have fabricated decks

exmark transmisstion
Two Hydro-Gear ZT2100 hydro static transmissions with no hoses, integrated cooling fans, integrated reservoir.

toro transmission
Dual Hydrostatic HG-ZT2200

wouldn't be towing often...dethatcher maybe once a year, roller maybe once a year (if that), spreader maybe 2-3 times a year and garden cart maybe 4-5 times a year...i don't see any of these items putting any more stress on the transmission than a person that's double my weight

edit: websites with specs added to first post

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry had the wrong models pulled up. Yeah, looks like they are both fabricated. My bad. The main thing with those transmission is they are not serviceable and prolonged heavy use can cause damage. If you're going to work them try not to do it for extended periods so they don't heat up. Also keep them free of clippings/debris.

Looks like they both have the relatively new proprietary Toro/Exmark engines on them. Initial reports on them are pretty good but reliability is still largely up in the air IMO. I'm sure they did their research and testing though.

In summary, they look like pretty similar machines and should do what you want, but I'd suggest the Toro over the Exmark mainly because of the heavier duty 2200 vs the 2100 transmission.

Point37

Threads
Sorry had the wrong models pulled up. Yeah, looks like they are both fabricated. My bad. The main thing with those transmission is they are not serviceable and prolonged heavy use can cause damage. If you're going to work them try not to do it for extended periods so they don't heat up. Also keep them free of clippings/debris.

Looks like they both have the relatively new proprietary Toro/Exmark engines on them. Initial reports on them are pretty good but reliability is still largely up in the air IMO. I'm sure they did their research and testing though.

In summary, they look like pretty similar machines and should do what you want, but I'd suggest the Toro over the Exmark mainly because of the heavier duty 2200 vs the 2100 transmission.

thanks for the input...yea i'm not looking to tow a lot...heaviest thing would be maybe the roller with some water or a little trailer of firewood here and there...at what model level do they become serviceable?

edit: looks like the quest s series and mx5050 has 2800 transmissions which would be serviceable but also a much larger deck...i guess i should find out how wide one of these is with the bagging system on it

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

cruzenmike

Threads
Ariens Ikon XL 42 and Gravely ZT XL 42 will have your 42" deck, ZT-2800s and fabricated deck. They are 3 blade decks but I hear they give one hell of a cut.

Point37

Threads
The hydro-gear 2800 unit is the lowest serviceable unit. It's a good step up price wise to a unit with one of those I think. You've have to check the mower specs. For your use it's probably not necessary. The 2100/2200 units are OK. You can actually service them but it requires removal of the unit.

Here...the EZT is the ZT-2200. http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/26680-HydroGear-EZT-Transaxle/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdR7kGvRU10

thanks...this would be the step up to get to a 2800...i hate throw away items but you're probably right, i probably won't need it...but if they can be removed and cracked open and serviced after watching a youtube video i'm sure i could handle that...living in the northeast the mower only sees seasonal use...grass in the spring and grass and leaves in the fall...summer the lawn is roasted anyway so i'm not sure i would need to go to a 2800

toro
mx4200 2100 transmission
mx4250 2200 transmission
mx5000 2200 transmission
mx5025 kawasaki 2200 transmission
mx5050 better 2800 transmission

exmark
quest e series 42 2100 transmission
quest s series 50 better 2800 transmission

scag
liberty z 21hp kawasaki 48 better 2800 transmission

kubota
s100 kommander r 42 2200 transmission
s100 kommander e or s 48 better 2800 transmission

gravely
ztx 42 kohler 2200 transmission
ztxl 42 kawasaki better 2800 transmission powered bagger available

ariens
ikon xl 42 kohler better 2800 transmission powered bagger available

Last edited:

Point37

Threads
Ariens Ikon XL 42 and Gravely ZT XL 42 will have your 42" deck, ZT-2800s and fabricated deck. They are 3 blade decks but I hear they give one hell of a cut.

you beat me to it haha...thanks for the info

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
As far as serviceable vs not I was referring to the ability to change the fluid and filter. The 2100/2200 require removal. The 2800 and up models do not. To be honest, I rarely service my serviceable units. The only time I did on my Exmark walk-behind was when I blew a hydro hose and once on my Lazer around 500 hours. The Exmarks have a different hydro system though with the separate pump and wheel motors. I had the dealer service the 3400 transmission on my new Bob-Cat for warranty reasons - Dealer service is required to extend the warranty from 2 to 3 years.