First Zero Turn...Looking at Toro/Exmark

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like you're getting close to a decision...which is usually when you reach the point when you're just tired of comparing specs and so confused that you just make a spur of the moment decision and buy something to get it all over with, lol.

Ferris is actually a fairly major brand that has been around a long time. I considered one before I bought my Lazer back in 2003 but decided against a suspension system due to the many reports of scalping and problems with the suspension system. I don't see many Ferris machines around here. It's mostly Exmark, Scag and Bob-Cat as far as the commercial cutters go with some Grasshoppers as well.

Point37

Threads
Sounds like you're getting close to a decision...which is usually when you reach the point when you're just tired of comparing specs and so confused that you just make a spur of the moment decision and buy something to get it all over with, lol.

Ferris is actually a fairly major brand that has been around a long time. I considered one before I bought my Lazer back in 2003 but decided against a suspension system due to the many reports of scalping and problems with the suspension system. I don't see many Ferris machines around here. It's mostly Exmark, Scag and Bob-Cat as far as the commercial cutters go with some Grasshoppers as well.

yea it's definitely getting to that point lol...i meant ferris is just somewhat exotic for my location...there just aren't many dealers close to me that carry/service them...add on the heavy weight/higher cost/low hp engine and it's easy to toss this one...i heard issues with bushings wearing out as well on the suspension system...the other 3 i think i'm going to have to try...i like the gravely the best the toro the second best and the husqvarna last...the only reason i flip flopped the toro and husky is just cause toro/exmark seems to be a big commercial use brand, more so than husky so i figured it would be better although i do like the wider tires of the husky

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
yea it's definitely getting to that point lol...i meant ferris is just somewhat exotic for my location...there just aren't many dealers close to me that carry/service them...add on the heavy weight/higher cost/low hp engine and it's easy to toss this one...i heard issues with bushings wearing out as well on the suspension system...the other 3 i think i'm going to have to try...i like the gravely the best the toro the second best and the husqvarna last...the only reason i flip flopped the toro and husky is just cause toro/exmark seems to be a big commercial use brand, more so than husky so i figured it would be better although i do like the wider tires of the husky

The reason Husqvarna is not mowed commercially like the others is its lower price. People think you always get what you pay for so it's lower price makes people think it is cheap. If you compare price to performance then Husqvarna beats them all the time. They are well made and will last a very long time. My brother runs one and so do 4 other companies here in my town. They are the companies making the most money with way lower overhead. Do not let the lower price scare you away.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gravely makes nice machines and you get a lot for the money. The only thing I don't like about Gravely in that on some of the machines at least, the deck height adjusts in 1/2 inch increments instead of the 1/4 inch increments that most others use. I don't know about the one you're looking at. It's not a huge deal I guess, my walk-behind only has 1/2 inch increments and I make do with it.

Point37

Threads
The reason Husqvarna is not mowed commercially like the others is its lower price. People think you always get what you pay for so it's lower price makes people think it is cheap. If you compare price to performance then Husqvarna beats them all the time. They are well made and will last a very long time. My brother runs one and so do 4 other companies here in my town. They are the companies making the most money with way lower overhead. Do not let the lower price scare you away.

Gravely makes nice machines and you get a lot for the money. The only thing I don't like about Gravely in that on some of the machines at least, the deck height adjusts in 1/2 inch increments instead of the 1/4 inch increments that most others use. I don't know about the one you're looking at. It's not a huge deal I guess, my walk-behind only has 1/2 inch increments and I make do with it.

thanks guys...i guess i'm really trying to weigh out my options and looking for what i like as well as design flaws at this point...hoping to ride all 3 of them soon...i think i'm really between husky and toro at this point but i'll reserve judgement until i take them all for a spin...if i could get the toro with wider front tires i think i would be going toro

-transmissions (gravely>toro/husqvarna)
-dealer proximity (toro>husqvarna>gravely)
-non powered bagger (depends if there are any clogging issues, but probably going to get a sweeper for the leaves and sticks)
-2 vs 3 blades (gravely 3, toro/husqvarna 2)
-towing capacity
-trailer hitch (toro standard, gravely/husqvarna add on)
-# of deck positions (gravely 13>toro 7>husqvarna 6)
-weight (toro 550>husqvarna 630>gravely 661)
-tire width (mostly front tires) (husqvarna/gravely 6">toro 4")
-autobrake (don't like) (gravely>toro/husqvarna)
-cost (husqvarna>toro>gravely)
-warranty
-arm rests (toro/gravely standard, husqvarna add on)
-seat comfort/ride
-ease of oil changes
-tracking (straightness of ride)

better transmission choices...

~$4100
GRAVELY ZT-XL 42"* (HG 2800 + FRV-TWIN 21.5HP KAWASAKI + POWERED OR NON POWERED BAGGER + TRAILER HITCH)
https://www.gravely.com/en-us/zero-turn-mowers/gravely-zt-xl

lower level transmission choices...

~$3600
TORO MX4250 (HG2200 + 24.5HP TORO + BAGGER + AUTOBRAKE)
https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/riding-mowers/timecutter-mx4250-74760

~$2800
HUSQVARNA Z242F (HG2200 + 21.5HP FR SERIES KAWASAKI + BAGGER + ARMRESTS + TRAILER HITCH + AUTOBRAKE)
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/zero-turn-mowers/z242f/967271801/

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you looked at the MZ series of Husqvarna? It is called Semi-professional. They offer 3100 drives and 6" caster wheels. Kohler7000 or Kawasaki Engine. A new Deck called Clear Cut. They start at $4649 and go to $4699 unless you want 61" deck. The only problem I see is the smallest deck is 48" and you seem to want 42" deck. Link to the web site:
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/zero-turn-mowers/

Point37

Threads
Have you looked at the MZ series of Husqvarna? It is called Semi-professional. They offer 3100 drives and 6" caster wheels. Kohler7000 or Kawasaki Engine. A new Deck called Clear Cut. They start at $4649 and go to $4699 unless you want 61" deck. The only problem I see is the smallest deck is 48" and you seem to want 42" deck. Link to the web site:
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/zero-turn-mowers/

I did but I’d like to stay smaller on the deck side...it also looks like the 48” deck doesn’t have a Kawasaki engine as an option...plus I have a 6’ wide shed door to get into with the bagger installed...trying to save some space to move around in there so I like the idea of the 42” deck to leave some clearance to get in the door as well...there really isn’t anywhere that i can find that has the machine width measurement with the bagger installed

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I normally do not help with people getting a Mower. I hate throwing in my .02 worth in because everyone has an idea of what is the best. But I can tell you that the only engine that Kawasaki makes that is worth the extra money is the FX series. The rest are no better than any other. Everyone likes to jump on brand names and say they are the best and that is what all manufacturers want. Build a good something till the name is sought after then make cheaper stuff and sell the crap out of it. When you are dealing with not the top of the line stuff it is all about the same. If I was looking in the range of stuff Husqvarna has one with a Briggs and Stratton with more horsepower I would get. I know you need small deck size so they are out of the running. You should not be afraid of Kohler or Briggs either. I just sold my 2007 Husqvarna that I mowed with commercially to my son. That Kohler engine is still running like it is brand new. Keep it clean inside and out and it will last a long time.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I need to take the powered bagger impeller units off both of my Z mowers to get them into my shed. It's really not a big deal.

Point37

Threads
I normally do not help with people getting a Mower. I hate throwing in my .02 worth in because everyone has an idea of what is the best. But I can tell you that the only engine that Kawasaki makes that is worth the extra money is the FX series. The rest are no better than any other. Everyone likes to jump on brand names and say they are the best and that is what all manufacturers want. Build a good something till the name is sought after then make cheaper stuff and sell the crap out of it. When you are dealing with not the top of the line stuff it is all about the same. If I was looking in the range of stuff Husqvarna has one with a Briggs and Stratton with more horsepower I would get. I know you need small deck size so they are out of the running. You should not be afraid of Kohler or Briggs either. I just sold my 2007 Husqvarna that I mowed with commercially to my son. That Kohler engine is still running like it is brand new. Keep it clean inside and out and it will last a long time.

i wouldn't say i'm afraid of other brand engines but i will say that if i ever end up selling it i think the kawasaki brand engine would help with resale but if the engine is very easy to do oil changes on and maintain i would bite on another brand engine mower...i mean isn't the toro brand engine made by loncin?...no other engine choices on that one...the zt-xl has options of either a kawasaki fr series vtwin 21.5hp/726cc or a kohler 7000 series vtwin 24hp/725cc...i'm not sure what the price difference is or what the difference is in the ease of maintenance...the husqvarna has 3 engine choices kawasaki fr series 21.5hp or a b&s endurance series 22hp or a kohler confidant 23hp...the kohler and the b&s mowers are $200 cheaper than the kawasaki mower...the kohler mower also has a heavy duty non canister air filter (vs standard), cast iron spindle (vs cast aluminum), headlight (vs none), pressure with oil filter engine lubrication type (vs full pressure), high back seat (vs medium), hour meter with service intervals programmed (vs regular hour meter) on it which is different from the decks on the other 2...not sure if any of those differences other than the seat and spindles make much of a difference

I need to take the powered bagger impeller units off both of my Z mowers to get them into my shed. It's really not a big deal.

i guess that would depend on what mower and bagger you have...from what i've read some of them are not as easy to attach/detach...but i'm looking to save time so if i don't have to deal with the hassle of removing and reinstalling it each time that is a plus for me...also i won't have to set up a place to hang it in my shed...i don't mind going smaller on the deck for that reason as i figure the mower will be able to fit into some of the smaller areas in my yard and probably get a better cut just due to the uneven spots in my yard...not to mention my yard isn't huge so i don't feel like i need a 46" or 48" deck