First Zero Turn...Looking at Toro/Exmark

Point37

Threads
i've changed my mind so many times due to learning so much just reading on here...here are the models i'm looking at now...have to fit through a 6' wide door with bagger attached, would like to keep the weight down and the wheels wide cause my yard gets wet...from the below choices i really am only considering 3 due to better transmissions...the gravely, ariens and the ferris...from my research the ferris is much heavier than the gravely/ariens...and the gravely has a kawasaki engine option so i'm leaning towards the gravely right now

*ARIENS Ikon XL 42" (HG2800 + KOHLER + POWERED BAGGER)
EXMARK QUEST E SERIES 42" (HG2100 + EXMARK + BAGGER)
*GRAVELY ZT XL 42"* (HG 2800 + KAWASAKI + POWERED BAGGER)
HUSQVARNA Z242F (HG2200 + KAWASAKI + NO BAGGER)
SCAG LIBERTY Z 36" (HG2800 + KAWASAKI + BAGGER)
TORO MX4250 (HG2200 + TORO + BAGGER + AUTOBRAKE)
*FERRIS IS 600Z 44" (HG3400 + KAWASAKI OR B&S + POWERED BAGGER)
BAD BOY MZ 42" (? + KOHLER + BAGGER OR POWERED BAGGER)
HUSTLER RAPTOR 42" (HG2200 + KAWASAKI + BAGGER)
KUBOTA Z122R 42" (HG2200 + KUBOTA + BAGGER)

Point37

Threads

thanks...i def like the mower, kawasaki engine, same transmissions as the gravely, dealer isn't too far away from me either...but no rear bagger available on the 42" crz...looks like the next 42" deck is in the fast cat pro se and that has a bagger available...but i really don't trust all the info on their website...for the fast cat pro se they offer a 36" deck and a 42" deck but the photos show it with a 48" deck...their bagging system also doesn't say which models it's compatible with...going to put it on the list to check out and maybe a dealer can tell me or maybe i will email them

*GRAVELY ZT XL 42"* (HG 2800 + FRV-TWIN 21.5HP KAWASAKI + POWERED BAGGER)
*ARIENS Ikon XL 42" (HG2800 + 7000 VTWIN KOHLER 22HP + POWERED BAGGER)
*FERRIS IS 600Z 44" (HG3400 + FS 600V 18.5HP KAWASAKI OR B&S + POWERED BAGGER)
*BOBCAT CRZ 42" (HG2800 + FR 651V 18.8HP KAWASAKI + NO BAGGER)

SCAG LIBERTY Z 36" (HG2800 + FR600 18HP KAWASAKI + BAGGER)
TORO MX4250 (HG2200 + 24.5HP TORO + BAGGER + AUTOBRAKE)
EXMARK QUEST E SERIES 42" (HG2100 + 24.5HP EXMARK + BAGGER + AUTOBRAKE)
HUSQVARNA Z242F (HG2200 + 21.5HP FR SERIES KAWASAKI + NO BAGGER)
BAD BOY MZ 42" (HG2200 + 22HP KOHLER PRO 7000 + BAGGER OR POWERED BAGGER)
HUSTLER RAPTOR 42" (HG2200 + FR651 21.5HP KAWASAKI + BAGGER)
KUBOTA Z122R 42" (HG2200 + 21.5HP KUBOTA + BAGGER)

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've noticed some inconsistencies in Bob-Cat's literature myself. They seem to update it piecemeal. But yeah seems like they just have the dump-from-seat side catcher for the CRZ. Just thought I'd throw that one out there to confuse you some more, lol.

Point37

Threads
I've noticed some inconsistencies in Bob-Cat's literature myself. They seem to update it piecemeal. But yeah seems like they just have the dump-from-seat side catcher for the CRZ. Just thought I'd throw that one out there to confuse you some more, lol.

greatly appreciated lol...i'll probably ask anyway just in case they are just very disorganized

found this though but not for the 42"...
https://store.eastcoastlumber.net/products/peco-powered-bagger-for-crz-xrz|23120910.html

Point37

Threads
had to edit my list to show engines and horsepower numbers so i could compare...a few of these are a little low in the HP dept...maybe i should be looking up torque numbers on each too

better transmission choices...

lower level transmission choices...
*TORO MX4250 (HG2200 + 24.5HP TORO + BAGGER + AUTOBRAKE)
*HUSQVARNA Z242F (HG2200 + 21.5HP FR SERIES KAWASAKI + BAGGER)

other conisderations...
ARIENS Ikon XL 42" (HG2800 + 7000 VTWIN KOHLER 22HP + POWERED BAGGER)
BOBCAT CRZ 42" (HG2800 + FR 651V 18.8HP KAWASAKI + NO BAGGER)

i keep updating this thread so i can keep track of what i'm thinking lol

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
had to edit my list to show engines and horsepower numbers so i could compare...a few of these are a little low in the HP dept...maybe i should be looking up torque numbers on each too

*HUSQVARNA Z242F (HG2200 + 21.5HP FR SERIES KAWASAKI + BAGGER)

other conisderations...

i keep updating this thread so i can keep track of what i'm thinking lol

I don't how to assist further except to point out that in my opinion it's as much about the mower as it is the dealer. I've been perfectly happy with my Exmarks and the dealer that I've been using for several years (my original one closed) but they're 20 miles away and they don't sell/service any other equipment I have. The Bob-Cat dealer is less than 5 miles from my house and is exceptional. My experience with them with my Shindaiwa and Echo handheld equipment has always been excellent. So I went with the excellent convenient dealer and what they sell = Bob-Cat. I considered a Scag but I don't like the dealer and they store their machines outdoors for extended periods of time. I have 2002 and 2003 machines that have never spent the night outdoors uncovered. I'll be damned if I'm going to buy a brand new machine that's been sitting outdoors unprotected for months.

Personally I like the smaller shops with a handful of employees over the bigger dealers. Things seem to fall through the cracks less often and I can build a relationship with them more easily. The owner of the Bob-Cat shop is the lead mechanic, and is always cordial and helpful. They will literally drop what they're doing when a broken machine comes in and fix it on the trailer if they can.

Point37

Threads
I don't how to assist further except to point out that in my opinion it's as much about the mower as it is the dealer. I've been perfectly happy with my Exmarks and the dealer that I've been using for several years (my original one closed) but they're 20 miles away and they don't sell/service any other equipment I have. The Bob-Cat dealer is less than 5 miles from my house and is exceptional. My experience with them with my Shindaiwa and Echo handheld equipment has always been excellent. So I went with the excellent convenient dealer and what they sell = Bob-Cat. I considered a Scag but I don't like the dealer and they store their machines outdoors for extended periods of time. I have 2002 and 2003 machines that have never spent the night outdoors uncovered. I'll be damned if I'm going to buy a brand new machine that's been sitting outdoors unprotected for months.

Personally I like the smaller shops with a handful of employees over the bigger dealers. Things seem to fall through the cracks less often and I can build a relationship with them more easily. The owner of the Bob-Cat shop is the lead mechanic, and is always cordial and helpful. They will literally drop what they're doing when a broken machine comes in and fix it on the trailer if they can.

thanks again...you've given me so much info...the dealer proximity is definitely on my list but not high cause none of them are very close now that my in-town dealer closed...that's a good point about new machines sitting outside...i didn't think of that...i would hope that during repairs it would be stored inside...

1 closest dealer to me is 11 miles away and carries bobcat...this is a small place that i think focuses more on repairs/sales for earth moving equipment...i don't see any mowers stored outside on google maps aerial/street view but i don't think that is a main source of income for them...don't think i could test out machines here, probably more of a pick what you want from a book and we put it together and you take it home

2 next closest dealer to me is 15 miles away and carries bad boy, ferris, jonsered, simplicity, snapper, toro, troy-bilt and wright...this is a small place that i think focuses more on repairs...i don't see anything stored outside on google maps aerial/street view...but that doesn't mean much...don't think i could test out machines here, probably more of a pick what you want from a book and we put it together and you take it home

3 next closest dealer to me is 21 miles away and carries ariens, exmark, scag, husqvarna, toro, walker and wright...this is also a small place that i think focuses more on repairs...i do see a few pieces of equipment stored outside on google maps aerial/street view...those may be for donor parts...they have a gated yard...i have a buddy that i believe used to work here so i will have to ask him...don't think i could test out machines here, probably more of a pick what you want from a book and we put it together and you take it home

4 next closest dealer is 26 miles away and carries cub cadet, exmark, gravely, husqvarna, kubota, toro, walker and wright...this is a big dealer who has machines outside...not sure if they bring them all in at the end of the day but i doubt it...this is a place i could go to test out machines

5 next closest dealer is 31 miles away and carries ariens, exmark, gravely, husqvarna and scag...i'd say this is a medium place that does store some outside under the building overhang...i probably could test machines out here but it would be a limited selection

husqvarna, toro and exmark are offered at 3 of the dealers so i have options there...ariens, gravely and scag at 2 of the dealers

i'd rather buy from 2 or 3 as they are closer and carry a few brands...but i may go to 4 to test some machines first and then buy from 1 or 2 (depending on brand)...there is also the option to go to mowers direct for certain brands and have it delivered to my house but only if the price is substantially less since transportation isn't easy as i would have to borrow a trailer from a friend but at the same time i have to assemble parts of it myself and if things aren't adjusted correctly then either i have to figure it out or bring it to a dealer and pay them...the other option is buying used on craigslist which i would only do if i was buying one of my higher level transmission choices with low hours or something i found at a good deal (see my CL finds below)

i feel like if you don't buy the machine from that dealer they don't put you very high on their priority list to get your machine fixed...but i also feel like if you're not a commercial user who has that dealer fix all your machines then you also would get bumped for the commercial guys anyway...my best bet would be buying from 1 or 2 but that takes gravely out of the picture and if one of those dealers closes the doors well then i'm kind of screwed if the next closest guy doesn't service that brand then i have to go farther away...either way i plan to do most of the maintenance myself and buy parts online...so oil changes not requiring a ton of extra work are a must

for me i guess it really comes down to the width of the mower with the bagger attached...if i can get through a 6' wide door with a 48" deck mower with a bagger (maybe powered) that opens up my choices greatly but i really don't think i need a machine that big...it also makes the machine heavier and i have a wet yard at times which could rut...also harder to fit where i need it to like between my shed and fence...i guess it also depends on if a mulching kit can handle the longer grass i have to cut from time to time without sending clumps all over the yard (don't want my dogs eating the clumps)

48" decks
https://southcoast.craigslist.org/grd/d/2017-exmark-radius-48/6545899345.html
https://newlondon.craigslist.org/grd/d/ferris-is600z/6544198708.html
https://vermont.craigslist.org/grd/d/2015-ferris-1500z/6543779096.html
https://providence.craigslist.org/grd/d/like-new-48-gravely-zero/6511161854.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*HUSQVARNA Z242F (HG2200 + 21.5HP FR SERIES KAWASAKI + BAGGER + AUTOBRAKE)

other considerations...

Last edited:

Point37

Threads
well i think the ferris is out just due to the weight of the unit plus the low hp kawasaki engine and the fact that it's somewhat of an exotic brand as only 1 of 5 dealers around me carries it...after the advice from Darryl G i'm on the fence about removing the gravely as well just due to the 2 dealers that carry it are the farthest ones from me and the unit is probably going to be the most expensive of the 3 remaining but i plan to get a price and take one for a spin if i can...i like the husqvarna over the toro just due to the wider front tires and the kawasaki engine and i also know of 4 other smaller shops that will service husqvarnas that are closer to me so i have a feeling that's the way i'm going to go...not sure which dealer i would buy it from though...we'll see how it goes after the test rides...could totally change my mind again haha...thanks to everyone who contributed to helping me out...i'm an engineer so i tend to analyze things quite a bit and gather as much information as i can before i make a decision