What's Going On Here?

JonnyBlaze

Threads
The left is throttle, the right is choke. So where should I have it hooked exactly? Another pic.

Attachments

• 20180227_213403.jpg
    20180227_213403.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 11

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When the throttle lever is fully open both of those spring should be stretched.
If not the throttle control wire is not opening the throttle by putting tension on the governor ( which tries to close the throttle )

My first thoughts was both of those cables seem to be clamped a long way back.
On all of the Kohlers I work on the outers are clamped from 1/4" to 1/4" from their ends.
The rod on the right of the photo is the choke rod.
The throttle rod is the one shown under ( to the left ) of the choke rod and has the damper spring around it.
If that does not move when you move the throttle control then it is not connected properly.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, after I looked at pic #5 I am mistaken, you have them hooked to two different levers, which is correct. I don’t like the bend in that choke cable, if you can make it come in straighter, it would help. You said when you got the unit things were messed up, so I would start over. You don’t know what the last guy tried to do. I would start my troubleshooting by checking to see if the governor is set properly. Next, I would make sure the controls are operating the throttle and choke shafts correctly. Does the choke control close the choke plate fully? Does the throttle control open the throttle plate fully? Are the RPMs set correctly? When you speed up the engine does the governor work properly? You may have to change which hole on the throttle control lever your throttle cable is attached to. The service manual will provide you with the info you will need to go through these steps.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
When the throttle lever is fully open both of those spring should be stretched.
If not the throttle control wire is not opening the throttle by putting tension on the governor ( which tries to close the throttle )

My first thoughts was both of those cables seem to be clamped a long way back.
On all of the Kohlers I work on the outers are clamped from 1/4" to 1/4" from their ends.
The rod on the right of the photo is the choke rod.
The throttle rod is the one shown under ( to the left ) of the choke rod and has the damper spring around it.
If that does not move when you move the throttle control then it is not connected properly.
Springs aren't stretched at all.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
I know the choke closes. Not sure about throttle plate. I'm going to play with it tomorrow. I don't know anything about setting the gov or rpms. I've never had to do anything like this before.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The instruction for doing that are in the manual that you were directed to back in post # 7 by Rivets.
The springs should be connected to a right angle lever which is bolted to a rod that comes directly out of the engine .
That is the governor.
When you move the throttle control it stretches those springs .
So get some one to move the throttle control up & down and see what is happening.
Move the governor lever with the springs attached to it and see what they move.
That is what the throttle cable should be attached to.

That particular control panel set up is a PIA.
Kohler decided to simplify things bu making only one plate to cover all variations of control lay outs.
In doing this they made it very confusing.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
The instruction for doing that are in the manual that you were directed to back in post # 7 by Rivets.
The springs should be connected to a right angle lever which is bolted to a rod that comes directly out of the engine .
That is the governor.
When you move the throttle control it stretches those springs .
So get some one to move the throttle control up & down and see what is happening.
Move the governor lever with the springs attached to it and see what they move.
That is what the throttle cable should be attached to.

That particular control panel set up is a PIA.
Kohler decided to simplify things bu making only one plate to cover all variations of control lay outs.
In doing this they made it very confusing.
I'll report back my findings tomorrow. Its doesn't help that the PO had a couple of those levers bent out 90 degrees. I bent them back as best as I could, I just hope its good enough. Wonder if I should try and locate a replacement assembly.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
I got it. Thanks everyone! The throttle lever screw wasn't making contact with the the lever that has the contact pad in it that I assume controls the carb. It's was one of the lever that the PO had bent all out of wack.

I'll be posting about another Husqvarna soon that doesn't want to turn over. Kohler Courage 21hp.