SCAG Liberty Z v Ferris 400S v Hustler Raptor SD

jchas41

Threads
Been speaking with the dealers some more trying to get the best deal I can. Am a little concerned with the SCAG now because I was informed its a 2016 model year - is brand new however, but I can't help but wonder if sitting around for 1-2 years will have a negative impact on it. But, the Ferris dealer won't budge off the $4300 price point and then I'd have to pay a $150 finance fee as well as tax - begins to add up. The Hustler SD with the Kawasaki motor won't be in stock for a few more weeks so I have time on that one. Ugh decisons...

mhavanti

Threads
Call the Scag manufacturer and offer them half to take the mower off their hands and clear up the dealer's inventory. Sometimes it works, sometimes they'll make you a counter offer and you can go from there.

Good luck

jchas41

Threads
Call the Scag manufacturer and offer them half to take the mower off their hands and clear up the dealer's inventory. Sometimes it works, sometimes they'll make you a counter offer and you can go from there.

Good luck

That's not a bad idea, I just emailed the dealer and told them I am having second thoughts as I was under the impression we were discussing last year's model year. Hoping they will offer a better discount - otherwise I think I'm gonna consider the other two options between the Ferris and the Hustler.

jchas41

Threads
Okay the SCAG is not happening, the dealer was either clueless or trying to screw me because he now informed me that it is not only a 2016 but that it is a Kohler engine - he was mistaken. I am walking away. He wants $4800 for the 2018 SCAG and that is much higher than the other SCAG dealers within 40 miles of me.

So I guess I'm gonna keep looking, good news is its March and we still have a foot of snow on the ground.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems the newest Scags no longer offer the Kohler engines. At least according to their website.

Just the KAWASAKI* engines. :thumbsup:

cruzenmike

Threads
If the Scag is something that you are really interested in, go to the next closest dealer and explain what your experience was with the other dealer and see if they have the model you want with the Kawasaki and if they are able to give you any better of a deal. Also, is the Kawasaki worth that much more (to you or street value)? I don't really care to have a Kohler either, but to save a significant amount of money, I would just suck it up. Kohlers aren't "terrible" engines, just not "as good" as the Kawasaki in your opinion. I think you are most upset about the dealer, which I would be too. At the end of the day, you as the consumer get buy what YOU want. So they may have lost your business, but they may also still have a 2016 that is still new and what is the best value around.

jchas41

Threads
If the Scag is something that you are really interested in, go to the next closest dealer and explain what your experience was with the other dealer and see if they have the model you want with the Kawasaki and if they are able to give you any better of a deal. Also, is the Kawasaki worth that much more (to you or street value)? I don't really care to have a Kohler either, but to save a significant amount of money, I would just suck it up. Kohlers aren't "terrible" engines, just not "as good" as the Kawasaki in your opinion. I think you are most upset about the dealer, which I would be too. At the end of the day, you as the consumer get buy what YOU want. So they may have lost your business, but they may also still have a 2016 that is still new and what is the best value around.

Yeah I considered just taking the Kohler model but, the dealer was dishonest. He admitted to me yesterday he should have said it was a 2016 and confirmed it obviously has been exposed to a lot of weather during the last two years. But then he tried to convince me that's why it was priced so great - which in my opinion it wasn't that great. I had a dealer offer me the 2017 18hp Kawasaki SCAG for 3999 but it was cash and carry only - unfortunately, the dealer is at minimum 45 mins away and I don't think I want to buy from a dealer that is more that a 30 min drive away. I think I'm just going to keep looking, I have some Toro and Snapper dealers very close as well and am going to take another look at those. I really like the Ferris but after tax and financing fees its almost 5 grand - I'd really like to stay closer to 4k than 5. After all, while I want a mower that will last a long time, I'm only mowing between an 1-1.5 acres of pretty flat yard - trying to decide what is smart and what is overkill for my needs. Thanks!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Briggs owns Ferris. Just FYI.