SCAG Liberty Z v Ferris 400S v Hustler Raptor SD

jchas41

Threads
Hi guys, looking for some advice. Been shopping for a zero turn to maintain my 1.5 acre lot in upstate NY. Mostly flat yard but lots of trees and fence to cut around. Been pricing mowers for a month and have narrowed it down to the following models:

SCAG Liberty Z - $3999 for 48" 21 hp kawasaki engine.
Ferris 400 S - $4299 for 48" 21.5 hp Kawasaki engine.
Hustler Raptor SD - $3899 for 23 Hp Kawasaki engine.

Dealers are all within 30 mins from my house. Thanks for any recommendations.

cruzenmike

Threads
Don't know much about the Scags but the Ferris looks to be a pretty good product; it is a relatively new model and is certainly consumer oriented like the rest. I would say the Hustler should rank third on your list unless you can work out some amazing deal that puts it $500 less than the Scag. Many mixed reviews in Hustler, seen/heard good things about Scag, step-dad has a Ferris and loves it. Many other choices in the price range you are working with; Deere, Toro, Cub Cadet, etc..

jchas41

Threads
Don't know much about the Scags but the Ferris looks to be a pretty good product; it is a relatively new model and is certainly consumer oriented like the rest. I would say the Hustler should rank third on your list unless you can work out some amazing deal that puts it $500 less than the Scag. Many mixed reviews in Hustler, seen/heard good things about Scag, step-dad has a Ferris and loves it. Many other choices in the price range you are working with; Deere, Toro, Cub Cadet, etc..

Yeah the Hustler is third, the SCAG seems much better reviewed and its only a $100 difference. The Ferris seems nice but I don't know if it's $300 better than the SCAG - From what I can tell they are almost identical except the Ferris appears to have a suspension system. I looked at some Toro's as well but the comparable model's seemed above my $4k budget (I won't go higher than the Ferris). I also looked at some Snapper models. Leaning towards the SCAG as it seems its a real nice mower at 4k even (and they would honor the 48 month 0% financing as well) - I had a dealer out of Syracuse (45 min away) offer the 18hp Kawasaki Liberty Z for $4k even and that was a cash and carry price only.

I hate making decisions lol, paralysis by analysis...

Last edited:

cruzenmike

Threads
If you go with the Scag opt for the 21hp Kawasaki for the couple hundred extra. Take it from my experience; I have a 48" deck and only 18hp. At times I feel like my machine does just fine, but when I let the grass get a little too long I either have to slow it down significantly or make a second pass. Extra power means more grunt for getting through the long blades of grass. Otherwise, the specs of the machine look pretty good at around $4k.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought the Scag Liberty 48" only came w/18hp KW ? Or Kohler.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought the Scag Liberty 48" only came w/18hp KW ? Or Kohler.

The 48 inch Scag Liberty is currently available with 18 and 21HP Kawi engine and the 52 is available with 21 or 23 Kawi.

SZL36-18FR 36" Cutter Deck, 18hp Kawasaki FR600 Series, air-cooled engine, 603cc displacement
SZL48-18FR 48" Cutter Deck, 18hp Kawasaki FR600 Series, air-cooled engine, 603cc displacement
SZL48-21FR 48" Cutter Deck, 21hp Kawasaki FR651 Series, air-cooled engine, 726cc displacement
SZL52-21FR 52" Cutter Deck, 21hp Kawasaki FR651 Series, air-cooled engine, 726cc displacement
SZL52-23FR 52" Cutter Deck, 23hp Kawasaki FR691 Series, air-cooled engine, 726cc displacement

jchas41

Threads
If you go with the Scag opt for the 21hp Kawasaki for the couple hundred extra. Take it from my experience; I have a 48" deck and only 18hp. At times I feel like my machine does just fine, but when I let the grass get a little too long I either have to slow it down significantly or make a second pass. Extra power means more grunt for getting through the long blades of grass. Otherwise, the specs of the machine look pretty good at around $4k.

The price I quoted above is for the 21hp kawasaki. So I won't have to pay anything extra.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The 48 inch Scag Liberty is currently available with 18 and 21HP Kawi engine and the 52 is available with 21 or 23 Kawi.

SZL36-18FR 36" Cutter Deck, 18hp Kawasaki FR600 Series, air-cooled engine, 603cc displacement
SZL48-18FR 48" Cutter Deck, 18hp Kawasaki FR600 Series, air-cooled engine, 603cc displacement
SZL48-21FR 48" Cutter Deck, 21hp Kawasaki FR651 Series, air-cooled engine, 726cc displacement
SZL52-21FR 52" Cutter Deck, 21hp Kawasaki FR651 Series, air-cooled engine, 726cc displacement
SZL52-23FR 52" Cutter Deck, 23hp Kawasaki FR691 Series, air-cooled engine, 726cc displacement

Now see on local Scag Dealer's website, they only list the 48" Liberty with a 18hp KW & come to think of it was same on Scag's website, last time I looked. Maybe something changed ?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
That was a direct copy and paste from Scag's main site so I don't know.

mhavanti

Threads
Get whatever has the widest and tallest front and rear tires to save your lawn. Less likely to rut in wet soil. Also, the Hustler may have gotten a few bad reviews, however, they are work horses and haven't heard of enough folks actually being let down to be alarmed.

I ride mine like I stole it. Rough terrain and all. The deck seems to be indestructible and it doesn't seem to mind wide open at all times. Warranty back up by the factory is good. Dealers can sway your thinking on this, however, when contacting the company in the event a dealer runs you around, they'll get involved quickly and to your satisfaction.

Well, I do like the sprung suspension of the Ferris, however, do not like the narrow front and rear tires as they do have a tendency to rut from my observation.

Go yellow!

Good luck and enjoy your new purchase.

Max