First time buyer. ZT or Rider

Jimboh

Threads
Moving to a new house next month and will have a little under 1.5 acres. The lot is primarily flat wide open with minimal trees or obstacles. I’ve been researching online and around many local vendors but would like some opinions from some people that aren’t trying to sell me something. I’m back and forth between a standard riding mower or a zero turn. I’ve never owned either, only push mowers until now. Which do you recommend and why? I’d like to keep it under $3k. The new house brings enough expenses and I don’t need to go crazy, just want to get a good cut

cruzenmike

Threads
ZTR if you plan to do nothing but cut, Garden Tractor (not riding mower) if you plan to do anything else. My lawn is relatively flat, with minimal obstacles and with about 1 acre to maintain it took just over 1 hour to cut with a 50" rider. With my 48" ZTR it takes between 40 and 45 minutes: a 25% savings in time. If you plan to use rollers, aerators, haul stone/mulch/wood or use a snow blade for, then a garden tractor will provide you with a platform and strength for those tools. I say Garden Tractor as you want a beefier transaxle for the hauling tasks.

Jimboh

Threads
I don’t see myself using it for anything other than grass cutting. Already own a snowblower and while a trailer would be move to have with it it’s not necessary for my yard. So your saying grass cutting only you’d go with a ZT? If that’s so, which brand/models would you recommend? I’ve looked at Cub Cadet rzt l46, a few Ariens and ex-mark, although most of the exmarks I’ve seen are out of my price range

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will not get much of a new ZTR on your budget and will most likely be replacing it in 5 years.
At this time of the season you should be able to get a last season run out ZTR on vendor finance over 1 to 3 years with a no interest loan.
This would be a much better plan than buying a bottom end ZTR.

I repair them and the only 2 small ZTR's that I would buy are the small JD 242 or the Cub with lap bars.
The bottom end Craftsman & McCulloch are very badly made and to be avoided.
I do not see any Husqvarna ZTR's at all, they do not sell well in my service zone.
Going a long way up the Toro professional line Time Masters are great but Time Cutters seem to come in with a lot of niggleing faults.
We don't get a all of the same mowers that you do, Exmark- Hustler & Scag have a very small market share.

Value for money the Spartan range can not be beaten & I have yet to see a bad review of one.
Avoid World lawn like the plague along with anything else which is made in China.

cruzenmike

Threads
At $3k for your budget, get a Toro SS5000 on sale at the dealer. Comes with a decent sized deck, powerful engine, carries a 3yr unlimited hour warranty and gives an excellent cut quality. Your other choices in that price point are the Hustler Raptor 42 or something made by MTD or Husqvarna. There may be the 42" Deere as someone mentioned as well. I had a Toro SS4225 with the Kohler engine and recycler kit and it ran well. Now they put their own engine in it and re-designed the deck. One of these can be had for about $2500 plus tax right now. So you have options for new. Anything you get used you will likely have NO warranty since the unit will be either >3 years old or the warranty is non-transferable. Why spend any more than $1000 on any mower that isn't in warranty? Beyond that, be meticulous about maintenance and follow all of the manufacturers recommendations for operation and maintenance and you should hopefully have many years of use out of whatever you buy.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FYI cruzenmike, Toro warranties are transferable. I would recommend Toro in either an SS or SW series, just a little out of your price range. If you maintain it well, it will last you a long time.

cruzenmike

Threads
FYI cruzenmike, Toro warranties are transferable. I would recommend Toro in either an SS or SW series, just a little out of your price range. If you maintain it well, it will last you a long time.

Husqvarna warranties are not, others are. I was just implying that this is something that must be know when buying something used. Also, the SS5000 can be had for $2899 on sale.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro here, had my TimeCutter 4260 Kawasaki powered unit since Aug 2014 (year end sale), no more tractors for me. :thumbsup:

Plus the 2015 & newer TimeCutters have 3 speed ranges, so you can Tow / Mow or Go. Mind you they do suggest you don't exceed the weight of the Z for towing. Hard on the hydros.

Recommend you go to a Dealer & ask to test a few. And have a servicing Dealer in your area is a plus as well.

Jimboh

Threads
Toro is not a brand I considered so I will definitely look in to them. My old push mower was a Toro, had to be at least 30 years old and started on the first pull everytime. Now that I’m considering Toro as well, which of these three would you recommend and why?

toro ss5000
Ariens Ikon x52
Cub Cadet rzt l46

cruzenmike

Threads
I guess rather than recommend one, I would say, what are their strengths and what are their weaknesses?

Toro:
Strengths - fairly well built overall, most powerful engine, selectable speed (smart speed)
Weaknesses - deck hangers can be problematic, no hour meter to track usage for maintenance

Cub Cadet:
Strengths - can be had with a Honda engine
Weaknesses - reverse safety feature on a zero turn (makes no sense)

Ariens:
Strengths - Kawasaki engine, most features in the price range, fab deck, comfy seat, hour meter, foot lift assist for deck
Weaknesses - narrow back tires and heaviest of the three (will rut wet grass

These are just my opinions if these mowers. All three companies have extensive experience and long histories if making mowers. It's hard to ignore your past experience with Toro, or the fact that Ariens also has a commercial line that they build their models off of (Gravely), or that Cub Cadet is priced competitively.