First time buyer. ZT or Rider

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just want to add that can always add a Tiny Tach type hour meter to a machine. Did that to my walk-behind. Guess I should mention that it failed after a few years. I think it's still recording hours but the display is now in hieroglyphics.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just want to add that can always add a Tiny Tach type hour meter to a machine. Did that to my walk-behind. Guess I should mention that it failed after a few years. I think it's still recording hours but the display is now in hieroglyphics.

The LCD screen , just like your phone is affected by both heat & UV so they have to be out of the sun light

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The LCD screen , just like your phone is affected by both heat & UV so they have to be out of the sun light

Well I definitely violated that criteria big time! Thanks for the info.

Not to hijack the thread but any easy way to get a reading on it now that it's scrambled? Would be nice to know how many hours are on the machine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I just fitted one and made a little flap to go over the top of it.
This one beeps at you when the service hours are reached.
On tractors with fuel tank fillers at the back I fit them under the seat so you can red them every time you tip the seat forward to fill the tank .
Gravity fed mowers get them fitted under the dash with the same instructions, check it every time you fill.

If it is still working then Tiny Tach could fit a new screen but it would probably cost more than a new one.

Jimboh

Threads
Stopped by another local dealer today and I really liked the place, a lot. They were a gravely Dealer.

So I am now adding the Gravely ZTX 52 as an option

Jimboh

Threads
Also looks like Kawasaki engine is about 200 more than the Kohler 7000 series. Worth it?

cruzenmike

Threads
Also looks like Kawasaki engine is about 200 more than the Kohler 7000 series. Worth it?

Engine debates are often tiring and never-ending. If the Kawasaki is more it's for a reason. Either A, the name can demand a premium, or B it is more expensive to put into the equipment. I guess it could be both. Why A, maybe because Kawasaki has built a strong reputation lately, especially amongst commercial users. Why B, maybe the engine is of better quality and it's components are more expensive to source? I really don't know to be honest, just speculating. I do know that my Grandfather swore by Kohler engines and had them in his last three riders that he put hundreds of hours on without any issues. His last was a Kohler Command and at 10 years old it still runs like a champ. But this doesn't mean that the Kohlera of today (7000 series in particular) is built like the Command was, but still likely better than the Courage! As for Kawasaki, no experience with them, but they are American made as well, are known to run quieter and smoother than comparable Kohlers. In the end, you have to justify the cost to yourself and be assured that your experience with any engine is part how you use it and how you maintain it. The rest is likely luck?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Inside Kawasaki's have Steel lifters & cam, to name something quickly. Not nylon like Kohler & Briggs use.

Jimboh

Threads
Inside Kawasaki's have Steel lifters & cam, to name something quickly. Not nylon like Kohler & Briggs use.

Good to know, thanks.

I think I’ve decided on the Toro MX5025. I like that it has larger tires front and rear and that it comes with the Kawi engine

Was looking at toro mx5000 but that only came with Toros engine and I haven’t heard enough good or bad about them

cruzenmike

Threads
If you cannot find anything bad in the Toro engine, there is likely little wrong with it. I personally do not have one but have heard nothing but good about that engine. The advantages of the MX5050 is that you can have 24.5hp and ZT-2800's. Depending on how much you are cutting, the serviceability of the better hydrostatics might save you long term should the ZT-2200's in the MX5025 end up having issues.