2006 hustler mini zee / 52" / starter relay keeps burning out, loosing spark

Radioman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2006 hustler mini zee / 52" / starter relay keeps burning out, loosing spark
Hello, I need help figuring out a problem
Starter relay periodically burns out and 15 amp fuse shows visible signs of being hot but not blown
Any ideas if this is a common problem and what's causing it

cruzenmike

Threads
  • / 2006 hustler mini zee / 52" / starter relay keeps burning out, loosing spark
What you are explaining sounds typical of an abnormal draw on the electrical system. Somewhere there is more power being drawn through the fuse/circuit than what should be. You could use a digital multi-meter to see what the current is through the key switch or through the fuse or through the relay. I am not sure what this will tell you but you can report back and maybe someone will know if something looks put of the ordinary.

Luffydog

Threads
First I would check ground and check fuse holders then the clutch assuming the battery is good and is charging.

Radioman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I am in process of checking wiring on that circuit and grounds.

Luffydog

Threads
Leaning toward the clutch with to much draw

Radioman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have checked wiring out down to clutch. Don't see any frays, breaks, or shorts. Could the clutch cause an overload even though it's functioning?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
In no way is the starter/solenoid connected to the PTO. If the PTO is feeding back to either the ignition switch would be the problem, even though I have never heard of this happening.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is this symptom showing up immediately after shutting off the pto. And when you said starter relay are we talking the starter solenoid or a separate little square box relay that energizes the starter solenoid. If it is the starter solenoid, may want to check for stray voltage getting to the starter solenoid when the engine is running. Like the key switch is sending some power to the starter solenoid causing then engagement coil to burn out.

Radioman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone for your input but I'm throwing in the towel and taking it to the shop. Too close to mowing time to poke around on it anymore.