HR215 blade choice?

Baughman85

Forum Newbie
Threads
I picked up an older HR215HX Masters the other day and have been getting it ready for spring with some good info from this site. It has the mulching kit, even the mulching plug. The cutting blade was shot but the upper blade is salvageable. My question is: What is a good blade choice for mulching? Is the OEM dual mulch blade the best setup or should I go with a single high lift or Gator Blade? Do these movers even mulch well or am I better off using the side discharge? Do not want to bag it.

Baughman85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good thing I checked the diagram. I am missing a blade holder and I had the spacer in the wrong spot.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Master's series with the dual blade setup. Mulches and bags very well with it. Seems like a bit much for the engine when engaging the blade though - rpms drop way down. I rarely use it though as I can use larger mowers most of the time.

Baughman85

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did notice it struggled a little to get the blades up to speed. Where does the spacer go? Does it go in between the upper and lower blade? Since it was missing the blade holder all together I'm doubting the way it was put together when I got it. The flat "spacer" was between the bolts and lower blade when I got it. The upper and lower blades were sandwiched together with nothing between them.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unfortunately the mower is in the mildly wildly inaccessible portion of my shed right mow and won't see daylight for about 6 weeks so I can't check it. I use the machine so seldom that I've only sharpened the blade once since I bought it a dozen years ago, so in don't remember anything other than that the upper and lower blades are stacked.

Last edited:

jp1961

Threads
There is a YouTube video showing a guy disassembling the BBC on a Honda HR215 Masters mower (for slow to engage blades). He replaced the clutch (the brake pad portion was worn away) and sanded the glaze off the flywheel part of the BBC system. It did seem to engage better after putting it back together.

Mine had oil leakage from the engine on the BBC system that caused slippage, but I replaced the oil seal to fix that.

https://youtu.be/Tjx79y_JsJI
Regards

Jeff

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think in at least my case that it's just a lot for the engine to get spinning with the double blade setup. Engages blades fine just pulls engine down hard. Will stall it if I don't warm it up enough or if I have it in uncut grass. Always been that way from day 1. What's it like 5hp?

Edit: Here you go. Dug out my original paperwork. Mine is an HR215K1HMA. Here's the installation instructions and diagram for the mulching blade. Note that the blade holder is not used for the double blade setup. The spacer goes in its place. And there is nothing between the 2 blades. Sounds like it was installed properly on your machine except the spacer was in the wrong place?

Last edited:

jp1961

Threads
Hmmm, I know valve adjustment on 4 cycle model airplane glow engine makes a HUGE difference in power.

It kind of makes sense, as the valve train wears, the valves are not opening as much as they should.

Regards

Jeff

Baughman85

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think in at least my case that it's just a lot for the engine to get spinning with the double blade setup. Engages blades fine just pulls engine down hard. Will stall it if I don't warm it up enough or if I have it in uncut grass. Always been that way from day 1. What's it like 5hp?

Edit: Here you go. Dug out my original paperwork. Mine is an HR215K1HMA. Here's the installation instructions and diagram for the mulching blade. Note that the blade holder is not used for the double blade setup. The spacer goes in its place. And there is nothing between the 2 blades. Sounds like it was installed properly on your machine except the spacer was in the wrong place?

Thanks for the diagram! Saved me $40 ordering a replacment that I didnt need