1-year old 22-HP V-twin slow starting

syogod

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1-year old 22-HP V-twin B&S in my John Deere Z525E that has had problems starting from day one. When it's nice and warm outside and was just run last week, it'll start up in 5 seconds of cranking, but if it's cold or it's the first time running it in a while it can take 30-40 seconds before it'll start. Once I get it started, it'll run fine, and if I shut it off and come back an hour or two later, it'll startup right away without any problems. It should still be under warranty, but I'd rather avoid the hassle of bringing it in for service, especially if it's something simple. It currently has new plugs, fresh fuel, new fuel filter, and clean oil. I don't have a ton of experience working on small engines, but shouldn't have a problem doing anything that's not overly complex. Any thoughts?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you have separate controls for the choke and throttle or are they together on the throttle control If just the throttle control only may need to adjust the cable where it connects to the from of the engine because the choke may not be closing all way. Or does your engine have the automatic choke. Could you post the model number from the engine valve cover or blower housing so we can we what engine you have in your mower.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agree with above. Choke on my Kawasaki's needs to be 100 percent closed snug to start when cold. I need to pull the chokes quickly to "snap" them shut.

cruzenmike

Threads
There could be an issue with the choke cable. If the choke cable, which is often held in place by a screw down bracket, has slipped in that bracket, could now be leaving the choke slightly open even when you think it is completely closed. The only way to check this is to remove the air cleaner and with the choke closed you should see the flap in the carb turned upward/downward closing off the opening completely. If the choke is set and there is still a significant gap present through the air inlet, then the cable will need to be adjusted.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Your engine will have a 2 year warranty for residential use. IF it is not something as simple as cable adjustment I would take it back for warranty work. Don't risk "messing" with it voiding your warranty.

Walt Conner

syogod

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you have separate controls for the choke and throttle or are they together on the throttle control If just the throttle control only may need to adjust the cable where it connects to the from of the engine because the choke may not be closing all way. Or does your engine have the automatic choke. Could you post the model number from the engine valve cover or blower housing so we can we what engine you have in your mower.

It is a separate control. The choke is a spring loaded lever that I need to hold forward while turning the key. I'll get the model number for you when I get home tonight.

Tinkerer200 said:
Your engine will have a 2 year warranty for residential use. IF it is not something as simple as cable adjustment I would take it back for warranty work. Don't risk "messing" with it voiding your warranty.

Walt Conner

I'm in complete agreement. Just didn't want to take the deck off (only way it fits on my trailer), haul it into town, and having to come back for it in a few days after they have a chance to look at it, if it was as simple as a cable adjustment.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure the choke is closing all the way just to make sure. Doesn't take much to make it hard to start.

syogod

Forum Newbie
Threads
Make sure the choke is closing all the way just to make sure. Doesn't take much to make it hard to start.

Will do. Thanks for the advice, and I'll let you know what I find out!