Need help with Lawn Care, New Season

Kraiven

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok guys, this is my second year at my house. I would like to try and get my lawn to a better state this year. Last year I tried over seeding and filling a lot of dead spots left from the previous year, yet my lawn was eventually about 65% crabgrass. I've been doing some reading and apparently I can't put down a pre-emergent for the crabgrass AND still seed fairly soon after. Can anyone offer some advice to try and get my lawn nice and green this year? Should I just seed and fertilize all my bare spots and hope it prevents the crabgrass from blooming?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but spring is a bad time to seed your lawn. Late summer/early fall is much better. Unless your lawn is irrigated or you want to dedicate your summer to dragging a sprinkler around, you're probably wasting your time and money seeding this spring. The problem is that the grass doesn't have enough time to get fully established and the roots will be shallow and it will just die off. If you plant in late August or early September the grass gets a chance to get started, and then hopefully by summer it's established enough to tolerate the heat and drought of summer.

If you are intent on seeding this spring, try to do it as soon as possible. But you can only do it so early because the soil has to be warm enough for the seed to germinate, which really leaves little time for it to get established before the heat of summer comes.

P.S. - And yeah, you'll have to skip the pre-emergent.

Kraiven

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was afraid of that answer. I know I should have done more fall work, but I just didn't have the funds to do so. Maybe if I rent a split seeder, lime, water and fertilize early I can beat some of it before the summer heat?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, best you can do at this point. If you plant early you may have time to put down a pre-emergent after the grass sprouts and still have it be effective. But don't be tempted to put down a contractor "quick and thick" seed to get the lawn going quickly. In my experience it does indeed come in quick and thick but then dies as dramatically, lol.

I see this all of the time. Seeding isn't on people's minds as much in the fall when there is at least something green growing on the lawn. It isn't until spring when the crabgrass and weeds are dead and they're looking at bare ground that they think of seeding. So you're not alone.

gotomow

Threads
What about using Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food for New Grass Plus Weed Prevent? That's what I was going to try this spring for seeding.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
You don't want to be using a Weed Prevent until your grass is already somewhat established, i.e., after the first mowing. It's always a good idea to apply a starter fertilizer when you seed.

Jealous Lawn Care

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is your current plan or schedule for your lawn care program? Spring is the most important time for lawn care as most pre-emergents are put down (weeds...crabgrass...etc), but like the others have mentioned spring is a tough time for growing seed because of these pre-emergents conflicting with the schedule. I'd wait until fall to do the seeding especially since you said you are having issues with crabgrass, so that should be your first step in fixing the lawn. Unfortunately you can't fix EVERYTHING all at once, but rather in stages.

If you want to help your lawn more than usual, I'd recommend core aerating in the spring then putting down your starter fertilizer and all your other products for spring lawn care. I actually just published up my own full advanced lawn care program on Youtube, feel free to check it out for a guide. Any other questions, let me know!

Thanks,
Mike

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never mind - post deleted

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Contact Scotts and ask them.

The bag says, "great for sod and grass plugs" and "starter food for new grass." I don't think that's the same thing as "newly seeded."