John Deere Z930M

Breezytwo

Threads
I recently bought a used 930M and after servicing it including new spark plugs I cut grass for about 20 minutes and it started cutting out and then died. It did start again so I moved it but now it will not start. The gas tank gauge shows about half full. Checked for spark and apparently both coils are good, so I have a gas delivery problem, I think. I suspect the fuel pump since the lines appear OK, this is a 2015 model. Today it's a rainy day in Georgia, anyone experience this problem and solved it?

Luffydog

Threads
Check fuel for water. What type of engine and some numbers would help us try and find the problem.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you check to see if it actually has fuel. Gauge could be wrong.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the bottom of the carb is a small canister with 1 or2 wires coming from it.
This is the carburettor cut off valve.
It jambs a plug into the eng of the main jet stopping fuel from entering the engine.
This would be my first place to check.
It operates with the ignition switch.
You can usually hear it go click , on and off.
If your fingers are not too calloused you can also feel it turn on & off.

Fuel pumps rarely give any problems unless the get feed dirty fuel as they have a one way valve in them.
To check the pump, remove the fuel line from the carb and crank the carb.
I use a 2' length of hose with an inverted U bend on the end which sit in a jar.
If the pump can pump 2' higher than the engine it is in good working order.
If you have an old oil pressure gauge they should pump 5 to 10 psi

Breezytwo

Threads
On the bottom of the carb is a small canister with 1 or2 wires coming from it.
This is the carburettor cut off valve.
It jambs a plug into the eng of the main jet stopping fuel from entering the engine.
This would be my first place to check.
It operates with the ignition switch.
You can usually hear it go click , on and off.
If your fingers are not too calloused you can also feel it turn on & off.

Fuel pumps rarely give any problems unless the get feed dirty fuel as they have a one way valve in them.
To check the pump, remove the fuel line from the carb and crank the carb.
I use a 2' length of hose with an inverted U bend on the end which sit in a jar.
If the pump can pump 2' higher than the engine it is in good working order.
If you have an old oil pressure gauge they should pump 5 to 10 psi

Thanks, I will check the carburetor cut off valve tomorrow and report back.

Breezytwo

Threads
Thanks, I will check the carburetor cut off valve tomorrow and report back.

The carburetor is not getting fuel so I have ordered an fuel pump. Hard to tell about the cut off valve can't hear anything with the exhaust so close and can't feel anything with my finger while turning the engine over. I will post after the fuel pump is replaced and see if that does any good?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A bit late now but you should have checked the fuel supply to the pump before ordering a new one.

Two ways to do this.
1) pull off the fuel feed to the pump & suck ( yummy )
2) hook up a secondary fuel supply to the pump and crank the engine to check the pump.

Very common on ZTR's is a build up of debris in the fuel tank which can block off the fuel supply.

Breezytwo

Threads
A bit late now but you should have checked the fuel supply to the pump before ordering a new one.

Two ways to do this.
1) pull off the fuel feed to the pump & suck ( yummy )
2) hook up a secondary fuel supply to the pump and crank the engine to check the pump.

Very common on ZTR's is a build up of debris in the fuel tank which can block off the fuel supply.

Finally got the correct fuel pump and still no gas to carburetor. Fuel feed line is clear and fuel filter is full but not going anywhere. It acts like there is no
suction to pull the fuel to the carburetor? The short connection from the fuel pump to the engine appears fine, so why is there no fuel flow, got any ideas? Thanks