Intermittent lifter noise Craftsman LT 1000

PTMD59*

Forum Newbie
Threads
My question concerns intermittent lifter noise ( tapping ) on a Craftsman mower with a Kohler engine.

The mower has about 225 hours of run time and is about 16 years old.

I'm using Kohler 10w-30 oil and have changed oil filter & oil on a regular basis.

It seems as though the lifter noise is more prevalent when temps are chillier & not as prevalent when warmer weather arrives.

I was thinking of switching to a synthetic BLEND ( 10w-30 ) to see if this assists in quitting the lifter tap.

Has anybody experienced lifter noise in a Kohler engine...I've read where this is a pretty common issue with Kohler's and that the tap quiets after about ten minutes post start.

Any opinions on whether switching to a synthetic blend oil will help in quieting the lifter?

Is there any harm in running the engine until the lifter noise subsides?

Thanks for any advice that you can offer.

Mike

Luffydog

Threads
I call it the ole famous kohler knock. No the synthetic oil won't help or least in most cases that I have seen. In most cases that I have encountered that it won't be to long and it will become a good boat anchor. Check the valves out and look to see of anything out of the strange. Some are adjustable and some not. Without engine numbers it's guess.

PTMD59*

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks...valves not adjustable on this engine.

Are you saying that the engine will fail in time due to this issue?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
More likely to be from the decompression mechanism which is on the top of the cam gear.
A cheap & easy fix before it falls apart.
A very expensive one if left too long.
I am assuming it is a Courage engine we are talking about ?

PTMD59*

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kohler Command CV460

Luffydog

Threads
Not adjustable as they r hydro.

Threads
PTMD I figured is was a command engine.. The Courage like Bert mentioned are not a very good engine.. The Commands are great.....

Bert is on the right track with the cam issue... Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Luffydog

Threads
Yes it will fail in time then your looking at a short or long block depending on the damage.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While it could be lifter with a leak so it runs down from time to time, they are generally very reliable.
The cam has a decompressor mechanism built into the bottom of it.
The rivets wear / break / come out then the little lever bounces around inside the engine till it gets jambed into something when everything comes to a rather abrupt stop.
The abrupt stop has a habit of knocking teeth off gear wheels or even braking the conrod.
Because the cam runs at 1/2 crank speeds, it sounds like a valve problem.
They pull apart veryeasily and the factory service manual is a free download directly from Kohler. What could be easier ?

Luffydog

Threads
Kohler is the self destruction engine. I call them croakers. No what u engine u have they all and will go bad at sometime they are working machines and will fAil at some point. Seen some engines brand new that has failed in the first hour or less