Intermittent lifter noise Craftsman LT 1000

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All a part of "evil capitalism" mentality.
Every thing MUST get cheaper every year while I MUST get paid MORE every year for doing exactly the same as I did last year.
So factories continually down grade products to make them cheaper.
HE who makes the cheapest product sells the most & thrives.
He who makes quality products either ends up just surviving with a tiny niche market, or goes bankrupt.

When I was at school ( a very long time ago ) they taught me that "competition will cause industry to provide the best product at the cheapest price"
However there were a whole lot of assumptions made in order for this rule to work.
One of them is an "informed market" which is why they crucify company directors for not telling the stock market stuff that might affect the share prices.
Now the down side is Joe Public who buys mowers has absolutely no idea about the mower, the quality of the machining, assembly & metallurgy.
Further there are no side by side analysis available and very little long term information available.
Thus the "market" is not informed so 99% make the judgement by comparing spec sheets with price charts and thus the cheapest pile of garbage ends up on top.
Then because manufacturers use focus groups to determine what features will be available we end up with 22 almost identical mowers as all of the planning goes into producing a mower with the least number of features that most people felt was undesireable in order to capture more of the market if the price can be driven down far enough.

Now vertical shaft engines are made exclusively for mowers ( Ok Earth Augers too ).
Because they are only made for an item that is almost 100 % price driven they are made as cheap ( and nasty) as possible.
Henry Ford proved this conclusively.
The way to make a fortune is to make a product that is only just able to do the task it was purchased for and to make it work for the least time that the market will tollerate.
Thus with almost identical looking engines except on one the shaft is vertical while the other is horizontal , the vertical one is 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the horizontal.
Why? Because the mower engine only needs to work for a few hundred hours to last 5 to 10 years while the horizontal engine needs to run several thousand to make the same number of years.

A few years back all of the commercial & top end residential mowers ran horizontal shaft engines.
Most of these are still running strong and will continue to do so for decades.

But some started to fit Vertical shafts so the mowers were 1/2 the price and outsold the good ones 10 to 1 .
So companies like Cub , Bolens , Simplicity & Troy-Built went to the wall.

Remember Onan ?
I just spent 6 hours making a Walbro carb work with an Onan engine.
Why was this "viable" ?
Because the Onan ( once the only engine for a generator ) uses ball races top & bottom on the crank, cam & counter shafts.
Thus this engine will run forever and with a little welding on some flogged out parts the owner will get another 20 years out of their Toro 244. Which means there "overpriced mower" will have an amortised cost of around $ 150 / year .
There are no bearings inside a modern vertical shaft engine, except Kawasaki and they are going the run directly on the case route as well because they are not cost competative with the new Kohlers & Briggs, let alone the Loncins & Ducars from China.

So no engine is much different from any other.
Each one has an Achillies heel and it is just luck of the draw as to weather you get one that is good or a lemon.
I got customers who have done better than 1000 hours of their Courages while others had the engine self destruct in under 100.
I have 3 customers who got brand new heads ( and was a complete engine ) from kawasaki because of a weakness in the rocker anchorage.
Heaven only knows how many Intek head gaskets I have done, but I buy them regularly in batches of 20.

Luffydog

Threads
The older kohler engines was a pretty good engine they would run for ever with not so many issues. The older vanguard engines was very good engine as well. Your right on spot with them making them to only last for so long. The older engines that lasted and ran good and still is to this day broke Briggs and kohler. They had to come up with a way to make money and the only way was to build a engine with and known faults to cause damage and only last until warranty was out. If I was to buy one today I would look for the warranty coverage. Kohler will not totally replace an engine they will only short or long block and that is it which I think is bull. Kawasaki is the better way for the warranty I think. Little harder to make claims but they stand behind the motors and will replace as Needed. Briggs they are just out there if u have a claim they like to send a rep. Out to see it and then make a call to replace or blame things on other people like the belts which goes back on the unit brand. If one of those would build a motor to last and perform and put a life time power train and engine they would pretty much rule the small engine world. They would be well known for the lasting product. But on the other making money is key to stay in business. The reason I think they are building them cheaper and cheaper is to put the small business owners and techs out of jobs slowly. It is cheaper to almost buy a new mower these days than replace some parts like an engine and even some carbs are $400 in cost before labor that is about a 1/4 to 1/2 a new unit brand new. So why not just let it go and replace the whole thing. It's cheaper in the long run.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The difference is now days you can computer model the engine so it is "just good enough to do the job".
Fourty years ago they had to make each variation in metal then test it till it failed, so it was cheaper to over engineer.
Thus the old side banger will run forever while the new OHV ones have a much shorter life.
And this is before the EPA forced them to run too lean & too hot.

Luffydog

Threads
That is right about running leaner and now efi which is even leaner and hotter not my first pick.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Before totally tearing apart the engine, you may want to pull the head and remove the lifters. They will flat spot on the bottom and will create a groove that will rattle, and sound like the rod is coming out in some cases.

PTMD59*

Forum Newbie
Threads
I call it the ole famous kohler knock. No the synthetic oil won't help or least in most cases that I have seen. In most cases that I have encountered that it won't be to long and it will become a good boat anchor. Check the valves out and look to see of anything out of the strange. Some are adjustable and some not. Without engine numbers it's guess.

Engine numbers...model CV460S, spec # 26509. This is a Kohler Command 16HP engine. Thanks for any further input.

PTMD59*

Forum Newbie
Threads
Before totally tearing apart the engine, you may want to pull the head and remove the lifters. They will flat spot on the bottom and will create a groove that will rattle, and sound like the rod is coming out in some cases.

Can I get a service manual online...with torque specs, etc.?

Luffydog

Threads
Outdoorpowerinfo.com

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I get most manuals from here ;-
http://www.mymowerparts.com/about_us.php
A good resource to book mark.
Click on the black Free Part & Repair Manuals then navigate down to Kohler Command.

You can also download a similar ( or same ) manual directly from the Kohler web page
https://power.kohler.com/na-en/engines

Then "manuals & service " then either type in your model number or just ferret around in the 200 odd pdf files which are a mix of owners & service manuals.

Luffydog

Threads
Sorry just seen the specs and jumped thinking about them and really didn't see the manual he was asking about.