X380/X390 Transaxle Swap

cruzenmike

Threads
Has anyone attempted or successfully swapped the K58 in the X380/X390 to a K66? In my quest for a new mower I am considering a new X380 but I do would rather have a more robust transaxle than what the X380/X390 offers. I cannot afford to step up into a X500 series to get the K72, but I can get a K66 for about $350 and do the swap myself if it is possible. I believe the exact model available to purchase is the K66Y. I figure I could sell the K58 that comes in the X380 for half that to make up some of the cost if possible. I appreciate any experience anyone has on these specific models of mowers and transaxles.

Mike

Bullseye

Threads
Mike, will you be able to use your current wheels and tires with the upgraded transmission? I, too have an X390 so I am interested. I also have and X300 that is five to six years old, so it is probably going to get upgraded first. The X300 will need a wheel/tire upgrade.

I am happy with both machines. Last year the X300 cut four half-acre yards; ours', two due to the owners' illness and one on an extended vacation. Mine is the only one with changes in elevation, and it is minor. I only did one yard a day. I always blow off any debris from the transmission with a leaf blower. I bought the X390 toward fall and used it with my home-made leaf collection system. I'm 70 years old and I really like the power steering on the X390.

Good luck!

~Lee

Bullseye

Threads
Has anyone attempted or successfully swapped the K58 in the X380/X390 to a K66? In my quest for a new mower I am considering a new X380 but I do would rather have a more robust transaxle than what the X380/X390 offers. I cannot afford to step up into a X500 series to get the K72, but I can get a K66 for about $350 and do the swap myself if it is possible. I believe the exact model available to purchase is the K66Y. I figure I could sell the K58 that comes in the X380 for half that to make up some of the cost if possible. I appreciate any experience anyone has on these specific models of mowers and transaxles.

Mike

Mike! After I sent the previous message I reread your original one and thought; why not upgrade my X390 to a K66 and place its K58 and wheels on my X300? Two upgrades for the price of one. So obvious... Growing old is a bitc....

~Lee

cruzenmike

Threads
That makes sense about keeping the wheels and hubs if the axle sizes are the same. I just know that there are variants of many hydrostatics and with going from one to another there may be some linkage issues like being too short or too long. This idea came about because my wife was looking for an alternative to our zero turn and she liked the x300 series but I was not sold on the K58, although know it is better than the K46 in everything else. It would be nice if each manufacturer came out and said exactly what variant if hydrostatic they had and what makes it different (like steel cut gears or whatever). The sale on the Deere is over so I cannot do anything at the moment; just getting the Exmark ready for the season and maybe one day deciding to pull the trigger without her knowing. Considered a Husqvarna as well given the better hydrostatics in them at lower cost, although I know that overall the build quality of the Deere is said to be better.