Toro Muffler assembly?

sneakyben

Threads
I am looking for a Toro SV600 muffler. I hate putting 100.00 in a muffler for a 12 year old mower! Is there a generic one made for this motor? Thanks in advance!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
What condition is the current one in? Can it be repaired? A skilled welder can often repair them unless it's badly rusted out. I had the one on my walk-behind repaired after I accidentally tore it running into a Rose of Sharon overhanging a lawn.

sneakyben

Threads
It's actually in very good shape. The baffles inside are gone though.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I see. Yeah I don't think that's repairable then. Perhaps you could pack it with silencer packing? Maybe one of the mechanics here can advise whether that can be done without detriment to the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly at 12 years, a $ 100 muffler has cost you $ 8.33 / Year which is what 2 beers ?
Running without the muffler or a defective muffler will cost you about the same amount in extra fuel consumption.

IF spending $ 100 is too much, cut it open make some new baffles weld them in then reweld the muffler.
Should take about 5 to 10 hours depending upon your skills and not including the time used to find some suitable steel.

Go to a discount mower engine shop like Small Engine Warehouse, Small Engine Suppliers, find the cheapest muffle they sell.
Go to a steel supplier & by a few lengths of steel tube and make up some sort of header pipe to get the muffler connected to the engine.

Mufflers are usually part of the mower & not part of the engine because they have to fit in the chassis .
Toro branded engines are generally rebadged Chinese Loncin engines & are supplied without mufflers.
AFAIK Loncin neither make nor supply mufflers with their engines as they are a wholesale engine supplier only ( 4th largest in the world ).

Last edited:

sneakyben

Threads
Well brother, I'm not real sure how you want me to take this? Not sure if it's in jest or your're just being an ***** about it. Either is ok with me. It has been a good mower. Still is. I just thought if someone here knew a better way than spending 100.00 I'd give it a try. Maybe an aftermarket crossover? Right now times are rough and I'm trying to save a little money. I suppose money is no object to you? The way it sounds, if you have a low tire you just buy a new mower? I can't do that. I hope most of the guys "helping" here are not like you, if of course you are just being an *****. If not forgive me because that the way it came across. If not, I'll do better. I'll just buy a pair of ear plugs. I do appreciate the other help though.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
You were actually given good advice by someone who goes out of his way daily to help people on this forum. :smile:

sneakyben

Threads
Fair enough. I didn't take it that way. My apologies. I am looking at the future, not the past. The mower won't last another 12 years. That's the way I took it. Once again. Apologies.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fair enough. I didn't take it that way. My apologies. I am looking at the future, not the past. The mower won't last another 12 years. That's the way I took it. Once again. Apologies.

No need for appologies.
The point was that you will pay big time with your own labour .
I do this sort of stuff all the time for my customers because the replacement costs of a new mower is deceptively low and a lot of them are pensioners or widows on a fixed income.
Deceptively because most cheap mowers are throw away items. And we get gouged big time for mower parts down here .
Also people have a tendency just to look at the price and not to amortise it over the service life.
If the mower runs another 5 years that is still only $ 20/ year which is what 1 to 3 hours of paid labour ?
And again what is $ 20 , a case of beer ?
And yes I would rather the case of beer too but it is not a great sacrifice.

You will not find much under $ 50 and by the time you buy some tube and pay for the electricity used in welding it you will have spent more than the $ 100 asking price.

Now that I have taken the time to check the SV600 looks like a Kohler engine speced by Toro & rebadged.
However Kohler mufflers are not cheap and the generic one for your engine retails for $ 140 to $ 165.

The point I was making about fuel consumption also stands.
Engines have mufflers specifically designed for them and fitting a wrong one can drastically reduce the power out put or increases the fuel consumption, or both.
Insufficient back pressure can allow the exhaust valve to burn, a big problem on mowers because the headder pipe is so short and that repair is $ 55 in parts alone.

I know times are tough for most USA wage earners.
We have had very flat wages growth for the past 6 years and people are screaming mad.
You lot have been subject to flat wages growth ever since President Regan cut taxes for the top end because the "Trickle down effect" would make all workers more wealthy.

Even a Briggs or Tecumseh muffler for the same sized engine will set you back $ 50 to $ 190 and you still have to make it fit.

It is a low volume thing which pushes up the price.
Toro offer several engines for each mower.
Each engine will require a different muffler
So while they may have produced 1,000,000 mowers, which makes the mower parts cheap
The number of mufflers could be down to a few thousand and as most are made from pressed parts welded together that makes them very expensive.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well brother, I'm not real sure how you want me to take this? Not sure if it's in jest or your're just being an ***** about it. Either is ok with me. It has been a good mower. Still is. I just thought if someone here knew a better way than spending 100.00 I'd give it a try. Maybe an aftermarket crossover? Right now times are rough and I'm trying to save a little money. I suppose money is no object to you? The way it sounds, if you have a low tire you just buy a new mower? I can't do that. I hope most of the guys "helping" here are not like you, if of course you are just being an *****. If not forgive me because that the way it came across. If not, I'll do better. I'll just buy a pair of ear plugs. I do appreciate the other help though.

Bert is just straightforward. He never tries to be an *******. He is from Austrailia and they do not have political correctness down there as we do here. We in the US have been conditioned to say everything nicely and think about everyone's feelings. He has no malice he just says it like he sees it.