Kohler won't start

jjrbus

Threads
2006 Troybilt mustang with a Kohler Courage 22, used by homeowner in very small yard.

Good strong cranking, has fuel, strong spark and good compression. But will not start? Tried some engine start spray and nothing,, not even a burp.

I noticed the oil is a bit low, but not sure if there is a low oil shutdown and if there was should not crank??

Above my paygrade, any suggestions? Jim

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the spark plug and rocker cover ( you will need to replace the rocker cover gasket ).
Put a stick down the plug hole & turn the engine over by hand.
You should see the inlet rocker open when the piston is near then head, stay open while the piston is going down, close near the bottom then open again slightly near the top.
The exhaust valve will open near the bottom of the piston travel and stay open all the way till the piston gets to the top when the inlet should open again.

If a rocker has jumped off a pushrod then one of the valve will not move & the engine will not run.

The other thing to check is the key between the crankshaft & flywheel.
There are 4 small bolts facing you in the blower housing.
Undo them then pull the dipstick out followed by the blower cover .
The grooves in the flywheel & crankshaft should come together to make a perfect square.
Even is they are just slightly skewed then the key needs to be replaced as the spark will be happening at the wrong time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
just thought I'd throw this in there,..genius really,...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnBReEoO6cI

1) he has a courage which has an impulse pump
2) As he has already tried starter fluid with no success this tends to suggest a valve or spark timing problem.

And yes Taryls videos are quite good but that was totally the wrong one for jjrbus's problem.
If you want to post links to Taryl's videos kindly make the effort to find the correct one to post for the problem at hand.

Otherwise we can just list a pile of random solutions and run jjrbus ragged till he stumbles onto the correct fix for his problem.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
just thought I'd throw this in there,..genius really,...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnBReEoO6cI

It's a shame more people don't check out these video's made by "TARYL" ,.. although he act's like an A-hole, he's quite smart ! , He has a bunch of these " antic's filled " video's on you-tube ... I just jump ahead in the video's when I'm in a big hurry. ..:thumbsup: ..:thumbsup:..:laughing:..:laughing:

jjrbus

Threads
Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated. Going over this and realized I was getting fuel, did not catch that I was getting lot's of fuel, like way too much.

Had the carb rebuilt and it started right up.

Don't go away I am sure I will have more issues Jim