Am I going way overboard? New zero turn

Mattgintx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1 acre lot that my house sits on. Grass is all st Augustine and completely flat. I’ve been looking at mowers and Was set on gravely. I looked at the different models and decided a gravely hd would be a good fit. For the heck of it I went over to the John deer dealer and really liked the z915e. Seemed really solid. I tend to buy nicer then I need....

In your opinion will I see any real difference between the gravely hd and the Deere with what I need to cut? The price difference won’t break the bank for me but it’s money that could be used towards a different toy down the road :). I’ve heard with John Deere u pay for the name but I’m a bit of a brand whore to be honest.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Price and brand aside, the Deere is an 1,100 pound machine that might be a challenge to operate on a 1 acre lot without causing a fair amount of turf damage and rutting. Personally I'd suggest something lighter and more nimble. Unfortunately Gravely doesn't list the weight of their HD machines, at least not that I could find.

cruzenmike

Threads
I have a 1 acre lot that my house sits on. Grass is all st Augustine and completely flat. I’ve been looking at mowers and Was set on gravely. I looked at the different models and decided a gravely hd would be a good fit. For the heck of it I went over to the John deer dealer and really liked the z915e. Seemed really solid. I tend to buy nicer then I need....

In your opinion will I see any real difference between the gravely hd and the Deere with what I need to cut? The price difference won’t break the bank for me but it’s money that could be used towards a different toy down the road :). I’ve heard with John Deere u pay for the name but I’m a bit of a brand whore to be honest.

The Gravely is likely to be lighter than the Deere but maybe not by much. If you can find the weight of the comparable Ariens model, that might tell you what to expect. Apex =ZT HD? As for the brand, are you interested in John Deere because of the brand name itself or because you personally have had good experiences with them? I can second Darryl that the paint demands a premium but it's all relative to what else you get with that paint; warranty, dealer support/network, Deere specific features, etc.. On this forum you will find many people with their opinions and many with their experiences. I have an Exmark Lazer Z CT that was handed down to me from my step dad. It has 500 hours on a Briggs engine. Many people I have talked to have said poo poo to the Briggs or the model of mower in general, but I can tell you that it runs good and leaves a beautiful cut. There is no doubt that for the money you are looking to spend you will get a heck of a machine, but don't forget to check out the other brands of mowers like Ferris, Exmark, Walker, Grasshopper, Dixie Chopper and so on. That way you can either see the value in what you are wanting to buy, or possible find something that fits your needs better?

Mattgintx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve had a small John Deere la135 and a 300series. Both ran with zero issues.

I guess I’m leaning towards the Deere because I’ve used the brand in the past and I plan on this mower lasting me for 15 plus years and don’t want to have buyers remorse cause I saved a few bucks.

When i started looking it seemed like the gravely hd was expensive and was leaning towards a raptor. In hinds sight i should have set a price and not looked at anything above that price point :)

It seems like there are lots of machines that all do a good job and in the end it’s just preference vs a clear winner?

Are their any other downsides to the Deere that come to mind besides the weight difference and additional $$?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well you already know that green paint is expensive and probably know that Deere keeps a pretty tight grip on parts availability from anyone but them. Other than that damn good machines from what I've seen and all I've heard from people who own them. Cut quality is excellent too.

I considered a 930a years ago but the price was ridiculous and I don't like my local dealer. They're my dealer for my T/L/B and the Boss plow for my truck too and I dread going there. I don't know, JD dealers (around me at least) all seem to have an arrogance that annoys me.

Might want to take a look at the Exmark Radius if you have a dealer nearby. Scag are nice too but also very heavy machines.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I very rarely ever do this but I will for this. John Deere makes some of the best commercial equipment. I think it is overpriced for something comparable. But you will not go wrong buying one. I, however, do not feel the same for their lower models. They are way overpriced for what you get.

Mattgintx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I very rarely ever do this but I will for this. John Deere makes some of the best commercial equipment. I think it is overpriced for something comparable. But you will not go wrong buying one. I, however, do not feel the same for their lower models. They are way overpriced for what you get.

By lower end are you referring to residential or their lower end commercial machines such as the z915e

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
By lower end are you referring to residential or their lower end commercial machines such as the z915e

Sorry to confuse you. I mean residential mowers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a customer who uses JD's bottom end ZTR ( 244 ? ) commercially.
HE has over 2000 hours on it and the only real problem has been the deck hangers which I ended up strengthening with some old bar blades.
HE loves it because it is small so can be used in a lot of places where most would use a self propelled.
Another customer has a McCulloch ZTR which is identical enough to have been made in the same factory ( JD do not make any lawn & garden products ).
The JD uses 1 size bolt everywhere and the deck lock pin has the spanner head forged into the end of it
The McCulloch uses 6 different sized fasteners, so if some thing goes wrong while mowing it is off to the workshop.
The JD has captive nuts everywhere so it is a one hand job to tighten a loose bolt , the McCulloch uses loose nuts and some are near impossible to get at.
The JD has an easy removable rear panel allowing full & easy access to the engine, the McCulloch is welded .

These are the sorts of things I see daily as a mechanic and they show that the JD has actually been designed with the customer in mind where as the McCulloch has been designed for the shareholders.

I see the same thing when I get under a 100 series.
While identical to the equivalent Husqvarna or Craftsman in specification, all the armchair spec sheet heros proclaim they are grossly overpriced.
However when you get underneath the difference sticks out like dogs balls.
The only poor design is the JD spec tranny which uses a much lighter oil than standard

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a customer who uses JD's bottom end ZTR ( 244 ? ) commercially.
HE has over 2000 hours on it and the only real problem has been the deck hangers which I ended up strengthening with some old bar blades.
HE loves it because it is small so can be used in a lot of places where most would use a self propelled.
Another customer has a McCulloch ZTR which is identical enough to have been made in the same factory ( JD do not make any lawn & garden products ).
The JD uses 1 size bolt everywhere and the deck lock pin has the spanner head forged into the end of it
The McCulloch uses 6 different sized fasteners, so if some thing goes wrong while mowing it is off to the workshop.
The JD has captive nuts everywhere so it is a one hand job to tighten a loose bolt , the McCulloch uses loose nuts and some are near impossible to get at.
The JD has an easy removable rear panel allowing full & easy access to the engine, the McCulloch is welded .

These are the sorts of things I see daily as a mechanic and they show that the JD has actually been designed with the customer in mind where as the McCulloch has been designed for the shareholders.

I see the same thing when I get under a 100 series.
While identical to the equivalent Husqvarna or Craftsman in specification, all the armchair spec sheet heros proclaim they are grossly overpriced.
However when you get underneath the difference sticks out like dogs balls.
The only poor design is the JD spec tranny which uses a much lighter oil than standard

They sell the 2xx series in Lowes here. It looks like a kids toy. To see how it was made I picked up the left front tire and it lifted 4" before the right tire lifted They must build them different down there. The 200 series sales for $3100.00. My Husqvarna RZ5424 That I have had for 11 years does not move one inch when you jack up the front tire on either side. I say jack up because you would be hard-pressed to lift it without a jack.