Your opinion on buying Me a Husqvarna YTH22V46

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The engine should do 1000 hours so plenty of life left in that.
Pulled out & sold separate you will just about get your $ 500 back.
The K46 boxes are not crash hot but I rarely see one pack it in under 500 hours.
IT will depend a lot on how well the mower was maintained , what sort of use it got & how many hours per session.

More than once I have been called to fix a tranny and the culprit was nothing more than too much grass on the box preventing it from cooling.
Stuff from the AYP factory ( Husky, Poulan, McCulloch etc ) are by far the worse for tossing crud onto the box and even worse if they have been mulching.
Because it is a common box replacements are not all that expensive and there is also a rebuild kit which is relatively cheap.
I get mine from Mulligans and even including freight to Aust they are quite cheap.
The mower was $ 1600 new originally back in 2010 when the model was introduced.
You can determine the age ( usually ) from the first 2 numbers in the engine serial number and some have a DOM on the ID tag on the mower.

IF you find the box slows down when hot, pull it out , thoroughly clean it, tip it upside down then replace the oil with 20W50 or 20W60 full synthetic.
Provided the box is not totally trashed that seems to get another 4 to 5 years out of a worn box.
Some that the previous owner did have been working flawlessly for a very long time.
If that makes no difference then you can mow the lawn in sections so that the box does not get too hot till you have time to replace it.

Hydros "GROWL" as they get worn so the Microsoft test ( quick & dirty ) is to run the engine at 1/2 speed then slowly go from foreward to reverse .
If you can hear the box the box growl and feel it sort of shuddering then the box is on the way out.
Brand new Hydros are quiet and as they start to leak internally the oil causes them to make a growling noise which gets worse the older & more worn the box becomes.
Generally a worn box will be a lot noisier forward than reverse.

You should never run a box at anything than full engine speed but when testing, running them at 1/2 speed puts a high load on a low pumped volume of oil so accentuates any flow problems.

Go to a mower shop and ask for a test drive.
Note how the mower sounds under very light pedal in both forward & reverse

deminin

Threads
I bought a used YTH24v48 from a neighbor well over a year ago, and saved hundreds over what I would have paid at the store. It only had about 20 hours on it, and the neighbor couldn't use it because of all the rocks on his land....I don't know why he didn't think of that before he bought it. It was a bit dirty from sitting for over a year, so I cleaned it up and replaced all the filters, oil, gave it a good lube, and sharpened the blades, and ran it with little or no trouble, since. It did have one problem, it that it was hard to start after sitting for several days....I traced that down to a simple adjustment of the throttle cable...it had slipped and wasn't engaging the choke. I'm up to about 95 hours, and I start it up every couple of weeks while I'm working in my workshop, and it should be ready to go when Spring arrives. I will replace the oil and filter, and re-lube it good before I start cutting this year. On balance, for the homeowner, this Husqvarna is hard to beat....IMO.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I bought a used YTH24v48 from a neighbor well over a year ago, and saved hundreds over what I would have paid at the store. It only had about 20 hours on it, and the neighbor couldn't use it because of all the rocks on his land....I don't know why he didn't think of that before he bought it. It was a bit dirty from sitting for over a year, so I cleaned it up and replaced all the filters, oil, gave it a good lube, and sharpened the blades, and ran it with little or no trouble, since. It did have one problem, it that it was hard to start after sitting for several days....I traced that down to a simple adjustment of the throttle cable...it had slipped and wasn't engaging the choke. I'm up to about 95 hours, and I start it up every couple of weeks while I'm working in my workshop, and it should be ready to go when Spring arrives. I will replace the oil and filter, and re-lube it good before I start cutting this year. On balance, for the homeowner, this Husqvarna is hard to beat....IMO.

Next season, replace the oil and lube everything before you lay the mower up for winter.
Things get deep rust pits when they are not being used and acids in the oil corrode engine parts when not in use.
So the best thing to do is to fully service the mower when you have done the last big mow of the season.

cobra390t

Threads
Well i have been on the fence between due to the hight hours which based on my calculation is way more than average for home owner usage. However i decided to continue to look for this particular tractor /Mower model even for few $ more to score less hours . I also came across pretty nice Deer L120 that is priced really well . Hopefully something will turn up

deminin

Threads
Next season, replace the oil and lube everything before you lay the mower up for winter.
Things get deep rust pits when they are not being used and acids in the oil corrode engine parts when not in use.
So the best thing to do is to fully service the mower when you have done the last big mow of the season.

Yup...I give the mower a good cleanup and lube, etc., when I'm done for the year. This past year, I only had about 25 hours on the oil and filter, after the last mowing ....I changed both when I got the mower, and again at about 70 hours. I store it indoors in my workshop, and start it up and run it for a few minutes at least once every couple of weeks. If the weather is halfway decent, I drive it around the yard/driveway for a few minutes, also. That way, when I'm ready to mow in the Spring, all I have to do is fill the gas tank, and fire it up. I keep a gallon of premium, ethanol free gas in the tank in the Winter, and add a small amount of Sta-Bil...and that seems to keep the carb, etc., from gumming up. Following this routine, my last mower...a basic Snapper...lasted 17 years before the deck became a rusted mess, and not worth repairing. I gave that one to another neighbor, who works on small engines, and he used the engine, and some other good parts to repair other mowers he was working on.