Pull start kick back

ghost1

Threads
I have a 5hp Tecumseh LEV115 that rips pull cord from hand when it is pulled to start. With spark plug removed, it pulls smoothly. I have checked to make sure key at flywheel isn't sheered. The intake valve guide is extremely worn and wondering if that might be causing it to kick back? Engine will run but something not right. Any thoughts? Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Only 2 things will rip the starter out of your hand.
1) ignition out of time , a small crack in the key can make the difference, as can the coil gap.
2) exhaust valve not opening fully or properly.

ghost1

Threads
Thanks bertsmobile 1 for feedback. I'll replace key and check air gap. I lapped and checked valve gap, and everything seems to look ok there except for side play of exhaust valve (not intake valve as originally stated). There shows 35 psi when I checked compression. I also changed carb with a running unit. I might add that this engine is on a walk behind trimmer and the belt is presently not connected to cutting unit. Thanks again.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
35 psi seems very low but maybe it has a compression release. Maybe you have a compression release problem?

Be careful when starting an engine that kicks back. My chainsaw has a push-button compression release that I failed to push. When it kicked back, it yanked the handle right out of my hand and my middle finger has been numb ever since (about four months).

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If this is a push mower engine, is the blade installed. The blade also acts like a flywheel, and without it the aluminum flywheel doesn't have enough mass to overcome the compression and the force of the piston trying to go back down when the spark plug ignites the fuel mix in the cylinder.

Threads
Bert he said it was on a walk behind trimmer.. I assume it's D.R. style trimmer.... Craftsman makes a cheaper version of the D R but most of them come with Briggs engines.......

I noticed a lot of Briggs on Southern equipment and Techs on Northern U.S. equipment.... ?? Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The OP did state that the belt wasn't currently connected to the cutter.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
35 psi is very low, low enough that it could prevent ignition, but then you wouldn't have the kickback. Most of those engines either have the heavy cast iron flywheel, or the weighted disc on the bottom of the flywheel. would be good to know what trimmer this is on.

ghost1

Threads
Thanks for all the help... The model number is WB522 (picture attached) that can't be found. I contacted Swisher and they sent me manual (also attached) that will match the mower I have. I might add that when doing compression check rope pulls as it should but when plug reinstalled, it acts like it's getting vapor locked and will barely pull through stroke. Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_2112[1].jpg
    IMG_2112[1].jpg
    118 KB · Views: 9
  • swisher.pdf
    930.2 KB · Views: 8
Threads
35 psi is very low, low enough that it could prevent ignition, but then you wouldn't have the kickback. Most of those engines either have the heavy cast iron flywheel, or the weighted disc on the bottom of the flywheel. would be good to know what trimmer this is on.

I agree with you IL Engine.......

Sorry for the confusion with the names... I typed Bert instead of your name IL Engine in my last post...... I saw that he posted a walk behind trimmer... Those have the heavy flywheel......

I haven't met a Swisher yet but they look so close to a Craftsman style trimmer...

Daryl G I don't think it matters if the belt is connected on those heavy flywheel engines......

Ghost said slop in the exhaust valve so that just might be the issue.......

Sorry for the mix up ~!~!