Sprayer/battery question

Tomster

Threads
I am converting a 50 gallon tow behind sprayer from gas pump to 12v sprayer pump. The pump is rated at 12 V 11 A 3.8 Gal 45 Psi. My question is whether the mower will recharge the battery enough for continuous use or will the pump eventually overpower the charging system? I will be using a single boomless spray nozzle. Thnx! BTW, I'm way past warranty so that is not an issue!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To answer that question we need the make & model number of the engine on the mower.
If the mowers has a manual PTO then chances are it will have a small alternator and the pump will draw down the battery
Most of them are around 6 A to 9 A and your pump draws 11.5.
IF the mower has an electric PTO then chances are it will will have a 12 A to 15 A alternator and while the alternator will have some spare capacity to charge the battery, 3 Amps will take about 3 to 5 hours to fully recharge the battery.
This assumes that the pump is always on when the engine is on.
If you have a switch and only turn the pump on briefly when you are actually spraying then the recharge time will be lower.

All recent models can have an alternator upgrade as the mounting centers are then same on all of them but you might need a new ( 2nd hand will do ) flywheel.

Tomster

Threads
It is a 2015'ish 54" Raptor SD. It has an electric clutch (pull the button and the blades engage). I was debating getting a second battery.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That should be fine just don't run the PTO & the sprayer at the same time.
You might need to top up the battery every month or so but the electrical system won't leave you stranded 1/2 way through.
A few customers put a shelf over the engine with a couple of 5 gal drums of spray so they can spray under fences while mowing the lawn.
both of them used a toggle switch so the pump was only running while he wanted to spray.