22hp V-twin STILL surging. Help!

Dimeadip

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 22hp V-twin in my 5 year old Ariel’s tractor mower. It was surging and needed to be run nearly with the choke on by the end of last summer. I replaced the rubber gaskets around the carb bowl, jets, and fuel pick-up tube. Afterwards, the throttle ran in the right spot, but still surged. So I pulled it all apart and checked the gaskets thinking I may have crimped something when I assembled it. Everything was good. While I was in there, I replaced the intake gaskets after cleaning the heads surface really well. Changed absolutely nothing. Still surging like crazy. Anyone have ideas or experience what I should try next? Any help appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
that type of surge is normally associated with the idle circuit in the carb. Even though the engine runs at full throttle, you are still running on the idle circuit unless the engine is under load. those passages are normally in the area at or in front of the throttle butterfly if you are looking into the engine side of the carb. that is the area this is giving you fits. Assess can be limited in some cases and may require removing welch plugs or covers, or in the case of some newer carbs there is no direct assess.

Dimeadip

Forum Newbie
Threads
that type of surge is normally associated with the idle circuit in the carb. Even though the engine runs at full throttle, you are still running on the idle circuit unless the engine is under load. those passages are normally in the area at or in front of the throttle butterfly if you are looking into the engine side of the carb. that is the area this is giving you fits. Assess can be limited in some cases and may require removing welch plugs or covers, or in the case of some newer carbs there is no direct assess.

Thank you. That would make sense as it ran smoother last year when I engaged the blades. Is there a diagram anywhere that would direct me to the passages you’re talking about? Thank you, again.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get us the model number off of the engine. Which should be either on the blower housing or on the valve cover without the fuel pump. Then somebody should be able to come up with some sort of diagram to assist you.

Threads
Is it the wide Nikki carb about 4 inches wide with the bowl on the bottom or the smaller Nikki carb ???

Dimeadip

Forum Newbie
Threads
It’s a Nikki model 795969. Engine model 407777 type 3185G5.

Bowl is on the bottom. Fuel pickup is white.

Thanks for the help, guys.

cruzenmike

Threads
I had this same issue last year with my 24hp Briggs and the issue was resolved after I replaced the two rubber o-rings around the jets in the carb....except I accidentally reversed them the first time I put the carb back together which made it run about the same as before. The jets are actually two different sizes due to the differing length of each intake tube. So unless you are 100% certain that they did not get mixed up, then you might want to check by the number stamped on the jets as to which side they go on. Also, you may have some governor issues. There are 2 or 3 springs on those governors that can stretch/weaken causing surging. Also, you will need to do a static and dynamic governor adjustment. It took a couple of tries to get mine right, but when I finally did, it really purred!!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had this same issue last year with my 24hp Briggs and the issue was resolved after I replaced the two rubber o-rings around the jets in the carb....except I accidentally reversed them the first time I put the carb back together which made it run about the same as before. The jets are actually two different sizes due to the differing length of each intake tube. So unless you are 100% certain that they did not get mixed up, then you might want to check by the number stamped on the jets as to which side they go on. Also, you may have some governor issues. There are 2 or 3 springs on those governors that can stretch/weaken causing surging. Also, you will need to do a static and dynamic governor adjustment. It took a couple of tries to get mine right, but when I finally did, it really purred!!

HEY Mike, What model is the 24 HP Briggs of yours ???? ..Is it a ( 44 ? 877 ) series ???

cruzenmike

Threads
HEY Mike, What model is the 24 HP Briggs of yours ???? ..Is it a ( 44 ? 877 ) series ???

It was a 44M777 ELS engine. The Briggs service manual you linked me in my op helped me through everything. In the fall I finally sold the Cub Cadet that it was in, but the repairs/adjustments I made worked.