Did I buy a lemon? New Honda HRX217HYA making awful noises...

KegKiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Did I buy a lemon? New Honda HRX217HYA making awful noises...
I'm hoping someone is familiar with this model and can help me clarify what is normal opperation.

I bought a new Honda HRX217HYA from Home Depot last week. I followed the manual setup procedure (and added the included oil) then fired it up for the first time today. It's making a horrible metal on metal shrieking sound. The motor fired up fine but the noise started when I engaged the blade clutch... and magnified from there. I suspect it has a bad "roto stop" blade clutch unit.

I took a video of the noise and posted to youtube under title "Brand New Honda HRX217HYA Making Noises". The forum won't let me post links yet... I'm too new. The video shows the noise, which is most obvious at the end when I cut the motor.

Question: With the clutch (yellow) disengaged/relaxed and if it tilt up the deck, should the blade rotate somewhat freely without engaging the motor?

Mine has signifiant resistance (I believe I'm turning over the motor/crank) and there is no difference in the resistance with or without the clutch lever engaged. Note: I'm paying attention to the yellow button and ensuring I'm actually engaging the clutch, not just engaging the clutch bar. The motor surges when i engage the clutch and the grass it actually being cut.

I'm new to this mower model. Always had push mowers in the past. Hoping someone can confirm my suspisions... this is not a normal noise and that the clutch/blade should rotate relatively freely if not engaged.

Thanks,
Kyle

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't help with diagnosis but I can tell you that you are right to think that noise is not normal. I'd take it back.

Luffydog

Threads
Yes take it back there is something wrong sounds to be under the flywheel rubbing. Tell them you are scared for your safety and I bet they will replace it without to much hassle. It might cause serious injury or death and your scared to opperate it they will replace it I would say

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On some residential mowers there is a brake that rubs on the flywheel.
I have known the odd one to pick up some crud and that did make a racket.
Also if the cable gets slack the brake can also rub.
These are the fixed throttle models that have a single bail that stops the engine.
USA & Aust model numbers do not directly corelate.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
As stated earlier, being NON-AGGRESSIVE, but firm, explain to the H/D folks you are concerned about the safety issue ( as stated by a previous member) be sure to NOT do ANYTHING to the machine, as you might hear, .. YOU, .. voided your warranty ! Sometimes during shipping or assembly "things" happen ! Honda makes a Top-Notch product ( or did ) , might want to send a PM to our member (robert@honda) on this site, usually busy on our Honda Forum, If you catch HIS attention, you'll get your answers !

TonyPrin

Threads
I have the same model and can tell you that absolutely your mower isn't operating properly. Check your oil to make certain it's at the proper level - paying attention to how to use the dipstick. Beyond that don't try anything as it may cause someone to question responsibility.

Take it back and be firm. If you used a non-HD credit card, contact them if necessary.

Let us know how you fare.

gotomow

Threads
I was at Home Depot yesterday and they had the same model out of the box with a yellow sale sticker on for $649. It had been returned. I know one of the lawn and garden guy's pretty well but he was not there to ask why it was returned. When I was looking at the Honda's I test drove a 217HYA and the roto-stop worked fine. No weird noises, it sounded and worked like all the other Roto-stops I've seen on the web. The HYA just was not my cup of tea, the multiple levers bothered my hands, and it seemed like I had to use a lot of effort to pull it backwards. Even the returned HYA at Home Depot was hard to pull backwards on the floor I can't imagine using that on my lawn. I ended up with the Honda 217VKA that I purchased from a dealer. If I wanted a blade stop mower the Toro 21" Personal Pace® Spin-Stop™ Super Recycler® Mower (20383) would be my choice. As the others have said return that noise maker ASAP. My other advise would be to purchase your mower from a servicing dealer if at all possible.

gotomow

Threads