Kohler twin burning oil

Snofish

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a newer Kohler CV680 twin that has started using oil, approx. 1 pint/hour. If I add SeaFoam to the oil, it stops using oil for several hours, then starts up again. The engine has about 100 hours on it, problem started at about 70 hours. Have used only synthetic oil since new. Otherwise runs great. Smokes upon startup.

Luffydog

Threads
20w-50 use that to see if it slows down the use on oil. Kohler's have always used oil and always will and they will not give u an answer to why they only play dumb. In your manual it will tell you that what to use for the temps and oil to use for them. Far as smoking the brand new ones will smoke when first fired up. Try running the 20w-50 in the heat and might have to change during the cooler temps for easier starting.

Luffydog

Threads
Also you might check air filter as well if very dusty replace don't blow it out not worth it after time the particles will go Thur it any how and cause premature engine failure due to the ingestion Thur the carb and then Thur the valves and on to the rings and cyclinder walls. Blow out around fins on the heads and the shroud the extra dust just holds the heat in and the engine has no way to cool.

Lawn Addict
Threads
FWIW: I wouldn't be leaving the Seafoam* in the crankcase for too long.. Read the bottle.

And I agree with going to a thicker multi-grade oil.

PS: You may wanna try using non-synthetic oil to see if that helps. Had a Briggs that started weeping oil & burning it, I was using full syn in it, switched back to dino oil & all was good.