Warning ! Does anyone have a problem with their Plastic shut valve?

Richard hopkins

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Warning ! Does anyone have a problem with their Plastic shut valve?
Craftsman LT 1000 New Gas line shut off valve and new filter.

I bought my mower new in 2004 it’s given me 14 years of good service, until one day this year I went to plow snow, the garage where I store the mower/plow was filled with gasoline I thought my gas can was leaking it wasn’t, checked the mini bike , motorcycles and the scouter , come to find out it was the mower the plastic shut off valve cracked leaked all the gas out of the tank (1.25gallons) on to the floor soaked the carpet under the motorcycles, my tool boxes quite a mess and I have an attach garage to my house, it could have been bad! Anyways, I replaced the plastic one with a brass one and installed a new gas filter attached is two pitchers of the new setup. Just want to warn people who have plastic shut off valves when they get old they get brittle and crack and you won’t know it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180215_164424.jpg
    IMG_20180215_164424.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20180213_164408.jpg
    IMG_20180213_164408.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 21

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Service technicians are well aware of this, private owners may not.
A 10 year replacement item in my servicing schedule, along with the fuel lines which are generally getting hard & brittle by then.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
That should fix it ! nice job, and you won't have to worry about repeating THAT scenario again , also noticed your engine filter cover..... don't ya just love the way the DON'T seal on the housing, I've got the same Briggs engine, and everyone I've seen is the same or even worse, piss-poor engineering in my book, keeping that carburetor clean, is utmost in these small engines, and they know that . ..:mad:..:smiley_aafz:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That should fix it ! nice job, and you won't have to worry about repeating THAT scenario again , also noticed your engine filter cover..... don't ya just love the way the DON'T seal on the housing, I've got the same Briggs engine, and everyone I've seen is the same or even worse, piss-poor engineering in my book, keeping that carburetor clean, is utmost in these small engines, and they know that . ..:mad:..:smiley_aafz:

The air filter element seals the path between it & the carb inlet.
Everything else is window dressing
A lot of the cheap Chinese filter elements are too hard or cut too short to make a proper seal.

Richard hopkins

Forum Newbie
Threads
Service technicians are well aware of this, private owners may not.
A 10 year replacement item in my servicing schedule, along with the fuel lines which are generally getting hard & brittle by then.

I did not know that I am not a service technician; I am a private owner they should tell private owners or put that in the manual. I think that there are more private owners than technicians I will put that in my maintenance schedule to change the hoses when I change the gas filter which is every season, you do not think about that at least I didn’t, especially when dealing gas and a garage and the loss that could of happen, safety comes first!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most owners manuals tell you to check the fuel lines for being hard, cracked or split.
The tap is in the fuel line.