Dump insert + extra leaf springs!?

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello,

I've been thinking about getting a dump insert for my 04 Chevy 1500. We bag quite a bit when it rains a lot and during the spring and fall. We also dump weeds, haul mulch, dirt etc. in the bed of the truck. I am getting tired of emptying 6 cans of grass/day or pulling on tarps to empty the truck box.

What do you guys think about dump inserts in 1/2 ton trucks? I'd add bags or an extra set of spring leafs to handle the load better.

I also have a 6x12 landscape trailer that I use to haul stuff (tools or more mulch). I do want to keep it since it is nicely equipped with racks and a huge basket. It's very useful as a spare trailer or when we do mulch jobs. I don't feel like getting a dump trailer since I wouldn't use it much. I already pull all my equipment in an enclosed trailer and with the dump insert, things would go smoother and I wouldn't need to empty manually the truck box.

Any input would be appreciated.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like a good plan for your operation. A friend of mine/fellow landscaper has a dump insert in his 1/2 ton GMC for many of the same reasons you're considering one. He has a TruckCraft steel unit. As long as you realize that upgrading the suspension is only part of the equation and you'll still be pretty limited for both volume and weight I say go for it. You might want to consider getting an aluminum unit for its reduced weight, but they're a lot more expensive.

I went the dump trailer route but I don't bag much and most of my accounts have on-site disposal areas for when I do. I also needed a trailer that could haul my landscape tractor, so a low-profile dump was a good fit for me.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the input!

Right now my search is not looking too good. I went to a local landscape expo yesterday. I asked two different companies for prices. On average it was 8 K for an aluminum one and 5-7 K for a metal one. For that money I could get a dump trailer... Makes no sense. I will keep on looking.

Is there anything else I should do to the truck apart from reinforcing the rear suspension? It's an 04 no rust in good condition, but it pulled all its life.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yikes on the price!

I think you can get by with just adding a Timbren suspension kit. Never done it but a buddy of mine did and said it was simple/easy and works. That was on a 1-Ton Chevy dump though to handle his heavy V-Plow and for hauling his excavator. http://timbren.com/

Edit: Might want to add a transmission cooler?

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, the prices are outrageous. The downside of Canada. All from the U.S. costs a lot.

I'll check them out. They seem to have good products! I might install the bags even if I don't get the dump insert. My enclosed trailer is making my truck squat and squeak.

I also thought about waiting a few years and then get a 2500 truck and dump insert. Not sure how to deal with this.

Code54

Threads
Something to remember is that no matter what springs/bags you add you are still legally limited to the GVWR of the truck. Things like braking distance is also something to keep in mind. If you are ever in an accident and over the GVRW any lawyer is going to easily point out you were operating an overweight vehicle in a "reckless disregard for others safety." This could be rather costly to you, your company, or your insurance.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is a very good point. I'll have to keep a close eye on the weight, but that seems to be hard with a dump insert. All tho it will mostly be full of grass, weeds or leaves. Occasional dirt and mulch.

Code54

Threads
Don't forget the weight of the insert itself - some are pretty light, some not so much. Not sure have it is up north but here in the states the tickets for an overnight load can sting a bit....
Good luck!!!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads