2009 Super Bronco (13AX60KH011) deck springs and brakes

jbeazell

Threads
  • / 2009 Super Bronco (13AX60KH011) deck springs and brakes
Hello all,

I have a new-to-me 2009 Super Bronco with a 46 inch deck that is a bit touchy with the PTO and the blade engagement and disengagement. It is engaged, permanently right now, and when I release the handle, the blades continue to spin. I had issues in the opposite with them not engaging before I replaced the belt. The belt slipped off the spindles and got all kinds of messed up, so I replaced it. Things seem very tight now when it is engaged, but it doesn't disengage. I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with the deck brakes and the springs that keep them in place. I cannot find a good diagram of what the brake and spring configuration is supposed to look like. The parts diagrams I found online do not show what the springs connect to, so I can't be sure how to assemble them, or if I have all the stuff I need for them to be assembled correctly.

Does anybody have a good picture of what the deck is supposed to look like with all the springs and things installed properly? I'm pretty sure I have things missing :)

Also, what can I do to look into my my lights won't work?

Also, I've noticed that after I'm done mowing, my gas tank empties onto the ground. What might cause that? It's annoying to waste a gallon of gas each time I mow.

Thanks!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Firstly there should be a sticker ( part no 777I22648 ) on the deck or foot board that shows the proper belt routing.
The tension pulley sits on an arm which is on a boss to give it clearence to be able to swing freely.
If you undid the pivot bolt make sure the arm is back in the proper place before tightening it.
The tension arm must swing very freely ( with the spring removed ) .

The brakes are simply worked by a spring, one for each brake pad.
The springs anchor into a hole in the deck ( early ones had a bolt or bracket ) and as such they break off at the contact point, particularly if you wash the deck which promotes rusting at the contact point.
On your deck there are 2 brakes, one on the stand alone brake arm , part # 97116 and one on the idler bracket part # 683-04251A-0637.
If the deck has been driving with the brakes on then the pads are most likely buggered and they are not replaceable as a pad.
The usual reason for the deck not releasing is the belt running on the wrong side of the belt keepers and not properly on the pulley .
This extra distance gobbles up free play in the belt so it can not slip properly.
No 2 is incorrect belt routing
No 3 is wrong belt
No 4 is dry pivots or pinched pivots.

Your lights are AC running directly off the alternator so they will only "work" when the engine is running,
You switch them on by making a ground contact.
Check the globes for continuity they are wired in series so if one globe goes neither "work" .
Check for voltage between the power wire to the lights ( coloured one ) and ground.
Check the switch by grounding the 2nd globe with a jumper lead.
Also you can check the switch buy checking for continuity between the black ( ground wire ) and ground when the ignition switch is turned to the run+ lights position.

Wash & dust the fuel tank, fuel lines , filter & carb with talcum powder to see where the fuel is leaking from.
If it is coming from the carb, remove & clean it.
In any case, put an inline fuel tap betwen the fuel tank and the fuel pump ( if yours have one ) or the filter .
Turn it off when you have finished mowing and let the mower starve off ( don't forget to turn the ignition off after it stops ).

jbeazell

Threads

Yep, I've seen that all over the place. It doesn't show you where the springs connect. It just shows the posts and the springs.

Assume that my deck is not assembled, and try to assemble it using that diagram :)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Clean the deck thoroughly.
Without the belts on move the tensioning arm so that the brakes are applied.
Hook the springs up on the brake arm.

stretch the spring so it is holding the brake hard on the pulley.
Swing the spring in an arc and somewhere you will see a hole or protruding bolt that has a shinny wear patch or has been flogged out a little.
That is the anchor point.
Double check that it will not foul on the belt.

jbeazell

Threads
thank you all for your help! I was able to resolve the fuel leak. The float bowl was very dirty, and I assume that it had sediment in the float needle that prevented it from closing cleanly. The solenoid under there was also stuck from the sediment. There's sediment in the filter, so I assume its old and busted. I've ordered a new one! No more leaks !

I looked at the belts, and the routing looks OK from what I can tell in the diagram. I've ordered new belts, since I don't know the age of these ones. I'm still confused on the springs, though. The original configuration doesn't seem correct since it prevents the brake from being applied to the pulley, even when in a 'full rest' situation. the two springs oppose each other, and hold the brake open. Here is the picture. IMG_20180306_090928266.jpg The yellow spring seems wrong, and the red spring seems correct. You can see the green space where the brake is being held open.

I removed the yellow spring, and it seems to seat very well, and operates when I pull the pulley to 'engage' the PTO. Here's what it looks like with the yellow spring removed : IMG_20180307_084933720.jpg. I don't know where the yellow spring goes, though. Everything seems to work fine in this configuration, but it obviously came from somewhere!

Also... in the second image, I've circled a green area. In the manual, there seems to be a very small idler pulley there to hold the belt on the larger idler pulley. You can see a wear mark where something used to be there. I can't find this pulley in the manual's parts diagram or online ones. It shows a screw, a washer, and a spacer there, but no pulley. See here : missing-pulley.png I'd like to order this, as it seems it will help keep the belt on the pulley when the deck is lowered, which I assume is very much needed !

thanks !!!

jbeazell

Threads
Also... to add.. here is the image from the manual :
deck-belt-routing-with-springs.png
It shows that little pulley, and shows the red spring attaching to the pivot point of the brake and going UNDER the lower deck belt. It doesn't fit there. I couldn't figure out how that works. It doesn't show the yellow spring at all.