Bobcat CRZ or Big Dog Alpha MP

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
DarrylG I think I am about to that point

Maybe this will help...My decision to buy a Bob-Cat was based mostly on the proximity to and the quality of the dealer. I'd probably have been happier with an Exmark after running them since 2002, but that dealer is a 1/2 hour highway trip away. I've been buying handheld equipment off the Bob-Cat dealer for a decade or more and they're simply exceptional and they're the next town over from me. Basically, it's as much about the dealer as it is the equipment IMO.

Marc417

Threads
I have the Bobcat/Big Dog dealer about 10 min away and the Hustler dealer is about 15 min away. I’ve never dealt with any of them. I use to cut commercially and used a ToroZ557 but didn’t deal with the Toro folks because they were buttheads so as far as dealers I have no personal dealing as to who would be better. Both of the first two dealers have been pretty good so far since I’ve been looking at mowers but who knows what they will be like after the sale

Any opinions you can give on the Kohler 7000 versus Kawasaki FR engines?

I did buy some string trimmers from the Bobcat/Big Dog dealer but that was about 7-8 yrs ago so we do have a little history

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never owned a Kohler but I've been very happy with the Kawi 17 and 23HP engines on my Exmarks. I think those are FH series. I know the 23 is. Never had an issue with either. The 23 is a little tired and burning a little oil at 1,900 hours but I've worked it pretty hard and overheated it at least once (grass packed under shrouds). I did have the carb rebuilt a year ago but otherwise no engine work on either, and no oil leaks or anything. The hour meter broke on the 17 but I estimate between 2000 and 2500 hours on that one without any issues whatsoever. The FX691 on my Bob-Cat has been flawless at 190 hours and starts easier when it's cold out than the other 2. My understanding is that the only difference between the FS and FX is that the FX has the heavy-duty Donaldson air filtration system.

Basically, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another machine with a Kawi engine and would in fact seek one out, but if the right deal came along for a Kohler-powered unit I wouldn't rule it out. I've heard plenty of bad about the newer Kohler engines and them not being what they used to be, but that's really just hearsay.

cruzenmike

Threads
Ferris also has their 400s model which has either a Briggs Commercial v-twin or Kawasaki FR v-twin, 48" deck and frame suspension with 2800 hydros for under $5k. My step dad has the Ferris IS2100Z, which of course in a completely different category of mowers, but his experience with Ferris and this model has certainly turned me on to their products!

Marc417

Threads
THe Ferris 400S in a good looking machine. I just looked and the closest dealer is about 60 miles from me.

I think I’m gonna do 1 more look over and test rides on the Bobcat CRZ 52, Raptor SD 48, and the Big Dog Alpha MP 54. They all 3 come with Kawasaki engines which I know I want it over the Kohler and dealers within 15 min of my house.

Right now I’m leaning toward the CRZ with the better warranty of the 3 and since they don’t make a suspension seat for it the dealer offered to upgrade the seat off of a XRZ pro to sweeten the deal.

Hopefully I will be able to let you guys know which one I choose in a few days. Thank you guys so much for the advice and guidance

Marc417

Threads
1 More question and I will leave you gentlemen alone. If one mower has the FR651v and 1 has the FR691v and you liked both mowers. Would the difference in engine be a deciding factor. I wouldn’t think you would really tell the difference between a 21.5hp and 23hp right

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Kawi 651, 691 and 730 engines are basically the same engines - they have the same short block, displacement etc. The differences must be in carburation and other subtle differences. To answer your question, no you probably wouldn't notice the difference unless the machine was already under/marginally powered or you were operating in challenging conditions all of the time, i.e., running a spindle-driven vacuum bagger or mulch kit, mowing long/lush grass, steep hills, etc.

cruzenmike

Threads
To further explain something you should consider that the engine is responsible for only two primary functions, driving the wheels (via hydraulic pumps) and rotating the blades (via PTO clutch). Resistance on either system will create a situation where the power, more specifically the torque of the engine will matter. More powerful engine can certainly handle more adverse conditions such as driving up hills (still limited by pumps as well), but also mowing through long, thick or wet grass. So, with that being said, keeping the blades sharp at all times, slowing down mowing speed to handle clippings when you let it go a little long between cuts and always running at full throttle will help keep the cut good. So will you notice a difference between the various engines you spoke of, not likely unless you are mowing at full speed and trying to cut off more than 1/3 of the grass in wet conditions. Of course not all mowers are created equal, hence why they range in price so much, but what you want to spend provides you with a set group of specifications. Ground speed, blade tip speed, engine make/model, hydro model, etc.. i genuinely think that there are no "bad" zero turns out there when price is the determining factor, but there are definitely ones that are better than others when comparing side by side; just depends on what is important to you.

Marc417

Threads
Well I still have not pulled the trigger on a mower yet. I went and drove a gravely ZTXL 52 with the Kawasaki motor today and I really like that. So I have officially narrowed it down to the Gravley and the bobcat CRZ. The price is pretty much the same with the Gravley $200 cheaper. As far as the bobcat dealer will throw on and XRZ seat free of charge

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
A 2.8 gallon fuel tank on the Gravely. Not that it should be a deciding factor but that seems really small. Just something that stuck out to me.