L120 acting up!

windsock

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a L120 John Deere with Briggs and Stratton engine that will only run for 20 seconds and only if the choke is on full. Cleaned carb checked filters and carb getting plenty of gas..Took it to John Deere service center and was told an electrical item that controls the flow of gas has melted and has to be replaced. Only problem they said it can't be purchased separately anymore and I will have to buy a new carburetor and the item comes with the carb..I think he said the carb with no labor is around $350. Does this seem logical and the price in line? As the mower is 10 yrs old and needs two new pulleys I hesitate to spend the money. Ideas

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Take the mower to an independent mower repair shop your are being taken for a ride.
AFAIK all of the carbs used by JD on the L 120 have a replaceable fuel solenoid.
All of the aftermarket parts companies supply them, although they are not particularly cheap.
If you have the 42" Edge deck most of the aftermarket companies do a deck repair kit for them.
Down here there is bugger all difference in the price after market to genuine because JD parts here are the cheapest.
I gather over there things are different.

The fuel shut off solenoid is just a little ram that blocks off the main jet.
Down here when they play up I just cut them off as they are not required by law.
In some states over there big fines apply for tampering with an anti pollution device, your call.

If you post the engine make, model & seril numbers there are people here who will help you to find the correct parts.
L120's have 5 different carb options.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Follow what Bert says, get thee to a new repair shop, your about to be plucked like a chicken. An independent repair shop would be the best and let us know what happens.