Timemaster or Turfmaster..........

billjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, 70 y/o homeowner who would like to purchase one of these and would like recommendations. I currently cut about an acre (completely flat and never in rain) with a heavy JD X485. I'm tired of the tracks it leaves in the front lawn, and am limited in using different patterns. I did try using my older JD 14SB (21") last year (did a great job), but that takes a lot of time. I would like to know if anyone has any current information or recommendations on either the Timemaster or Turfmaster. I've read a ton of posts on them but a lot are older posts. My first thought is to go with the Turfmaster for it's durability and my history of trying to buy the best I can afford at the time. One thing that kind of dissuades me is the engine. I think I read the new Timemasters have a larger engine albeit B&S vs Kawasaki. Is the turfmaster under powered, that is the same engine as used on several 21" mowers. I also prefer the Turfmaster drive control as it is very similar to my older JD, the "Personal Pace" would take a little getting use to, but I'm not that old, lol. Anyway that's pretty much it. I would appreciate any opinions or first hand knowledge on these 2 mowers. Thanks for any help anyone may have to offer.

Bill

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't have direct experience with either mower but I have also read a lot about them. I've read that the transmissions on the Timemaster aren't very durable, but if it's a 70 year old man using it on a flat yard I'm not sure I'd worry about it. Keep in mind that the Turfmaster is a good bit heavier, 20some pounds, which might not sound like a lot but with a lawn that size it could definitely make a difference in fatigue.

I've had mixed luck with B&S engines but I've only had one that I'd call a bad engine...The 10HP Intek I/C on my Billy Goat walk-behind blower.

If you want a robust transmission and Kawi then go for the Turfmaster. Kawi engines tend to have pretty high torque and seem bigger than their rated HP in my experience. Whether it's enough I don't know.

Personally I think the Timemaster is a better fit since it doesn't sound like you need a heavy duty machine and you won't be "only" 70 forever...as the years go by you might appreciate the lighter machine. And the transmissions for the Timemaster are pretty inexpensive if it does fail.

Just my 2 cents.

billjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Darryl G ...Thank you for your very prompt and helpful response. I'll also wait and see if I get any other responses from owners which in itself may be telling. No responses may indicate neither is a good choice, or at least not that popular for my application.

Bill

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
TimeMaster will be a better choice for the conditions you post. Transmission has been redone and should no longer be a concern. Bigger engine is also nice. Learning curve on the Personal Pace system will be able 15 minutes if you are cutting flat surface and 30 minutes if you have slopes and things to go around. Been a Toro guy, user and technician for over 40 years, so can speak clearly on this one.

billjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rivets..... Thank you for responding to my question. I appreciate your time and valuable experience. Just real quick, I know you recommend the TimeMaster, but is the TurfMaster in your opinion under powered? I still like the TurfMasters controls but again I've always been mechanically inclined and not to old to learn something new. Thanks again!!

Bill

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes a bit, but with a different tranny and drive setup, you probably wouldn’t notice a big difference. From your yard description and age, I would not recommend the heavier commercial unit. I have many of the commercial users switch to the TmeMaster.

billjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rivets...... I have to admit you're convincing me due to your backround. Still looking at all the videos and info out there. Home Depot supposedly has a few (Timemasters) in but not set up right yet. The local Toro dealers close to me haven't had any that I've seen even when looking last year.
Darryl G I did see that and noticed his description on the Timemaster. I can't believe all the videos on these things just wish there were more current ones that don't dwell on previous or early issues.

gotomow

Threads
I'd go with the Timemaster. Try out the Personal Pace system I think you will like it. The Turfmaster is overkill for a homeowner 1 acre. It's commercial engine is made for day in day out usage, 8, 9, 10 hours 5 days a week. Although I've never tried, the 2 units are so close in design I think it might be possible to use the Turfmaster controls on the Timemaster. Think how much money you would save over buying a Turfmaster in the end.

billjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
First thank everyone for all your valuable information and suggestions. The tracks I refer to on my OP are actually 2 fold. First I have deep green stripping from the tires, and second browned out areas from the deck getting closer to the ground as the tire tracks pack down more over the years. I actually tries a 36" Bobcat walk behind gear drive last year which did a great job. I enjoy the exercise so walking is not an issue. The real issue I had with the BobCat was the thumb controls on the handles. I had looked at the Toro T-Bar, but went with the Bobcat which didn't work out. I get different opinions on the TBar system not being able to turn as sharply as the pistol grips. And than of course there's the 36" Hydro's out there. I'm glad I started looking early this year, have to do something different this year to get rid of the constant and worsening tracks. So again I thank you all for your help as I continue reading tons of information until I can maybe see something in person locally or find something here I'm not real familiar with. I should quickly mention that I can continue cutting the back half acre, so I'm actually looking at using the new machine for just the front 1/2 + acre. I'll definitely keep the X485 as I've had that since new and use it for plowing in the winter. Thanks again for your continued help.

Bill