Brigs and Stratton - Sprint, Classic Quatro 3.75 HP

ruleandrews

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found a B&S 3.75 Hp from 1992 and I am having trouble getting the crank case off. I can get it separated a couple inches, but its as if something is holding it from coming apart. I downloaded the manual from their web site, but it does not show any details on how it comes apart. Does anyone here have any experience with this engine?

Model - 96982
Type - 3175 01
Code - 92031203

Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you are trying to remove the oil sump from the engine, make sure that the crankshaft is smooth and doesn't have any burrs, or rust on the shaft. It doesn't take much to prevent the sump from sliding off.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I found a B&S 3.75 Hp from 1992 and I am having trouble getting the crank case off. I can get it separated a couple inches, but its as if something is holding it from coming apart. I downloaded the manual from their web site, but it does not show any details on how it comes apart. Does anyone here have any experience with this engine?

Model - 96982
Type - 3175 01
Code - 92031203

Thanks!

See PAGE 2 in SECTION 10 of this Manual ....... be sure crankshaft is clean & smooth,

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ycG8wd0s3Z2Q2X00/edit

ruleandrews

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies!

I'm still having issues. The crank shafts is connected to the sump base. The only way it will come off is if I slide the crank case over the end where the flywheel was, but it's almost as if there is a pin or something holding it in..

ruleandrews

Forum Newbie
Threads
Brute force and ignorance won in the end, but I broke a connecting rod in the process...

Thanks again for the replies!

Threads
You must have had the flywheel off to break the rod............ I have rods for those engines...... I have a Sprint 3.75 great engines and last a very long time with proper care.......

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Brute force and ignorance won in the end, but I broke a connecting rod in the process...

Thanks again for the replies!

Do you know WHY the rod broke ?? perhaps the rod & piston were supposed to be removed from the engine beforehand ?? taking things apart WITHOUT destroying something, requires due diligence to reading the Manual, and checking everything that's preventing disassembly, very closely, PATIENCE,,,, is of utmost importance, think the ASSEMBLY procedure, then think the DISassembly, things go together in a specific order, they come apart in a specific order as well. Lessons to be learned from mistakes. Hopefully, anything broken, is available, AND, NOT costly !

Threads
Boo, With the sump only a couple inches away from the block I don't think he had room to get tools in there to take the rod cap off................

I'm pretty sure he had the flywheel off and the crank was floating so to say and the rod probably broke at the bottom of the cylinder.

I have had a few sumps that were a PITA to get off.... Have someone hold the fly wheel and spin the sump off after sanding the crank good with some emery cloth....

I keep a lot of those parts on hand in the shop.... I love rebuilding those bullet proof engines........... PLUS tARD mON aMI ~!~!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Awhile back, when I changed the trans. in my big Murray, it took me 3 days and a lot of profanity to remove the drive-pulley from the old trans, lots of PB-Blaster, wood wedges, and hard taps with a ball-peen hammer AND most of all .... PATIENCE ! Still can't figure which was the correct curse-word that made it finally "pop" off !! .. :thumbsup: ..:laughing:..:laughing:

Hopefully the silicone "gasket-maker" will prevent any moisture entrance between the shaft and pulley ( cause of being "stuck" ) .

DSCN1520.jpg...DSCN1527.jpg...DSCN1563.jpg