john deere D110 - mower blades not engaging

jets17

Forum Newbie
Threads
hello all!

I have a john deere d110. it has exactly 50 hours on it and has been taken care of pretty well.

I went out to mow the yard this morning and ran into a weird issue. the mower starts up, without a problem and I could drive around with it, but when I try to engage the mower blades, the engine bogs down and stops.

I removed the belt from the spindle that drops down from the engine, and it still bogs down and stops. so, it seems that the issue has nothing to do with the belt on the mower deck or anything associated to the mower deck itself.

I did a complete tune up on it last Friday, including new oil and filter, new gas filter, new air filter, new spark plug, and I greased all of the grease ports.

After the tune up, I mowed the yard - 2.5 acres - and put the mower away, and now - a week later - i'm having a problem with engaging the mower blades.

Does anybody have an idea that may help me?

cruzenmike

Threads
If the mower is only bogging down when you engage the deck, you can try two things. Disconnect the belt from the deck and PTO clutch and put all of the hardware back on and run the engine and engage the deck. At this point, all that should happen is that the PTO clutch will engage and the deck will not turn since the belt is unhooked. If that causes the engine to bog down, then you likely have an issue with the PTO clutch. This could be caused by a bad bearing or something going on with the clutch plates inside of the PTO. If you do this and the engine down not bog down, then you want to check each spindle on the deck by rotating them free hand (be careful of the moving blades on the bottom side). All of the spindles/blades should move freely without making any obviously loud noises and you should not feel any binding. The last thing that you might want to check if all of that looks good is the belt idler pulleys beneath the frame of the machine. These could also be bound up/bad bearing, which could be placing a load on the engine when trying to move the deck belt across them.

jets17

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the help

the first electrical connect that I checked was the easy one, under the seat. when I pulled on that cable harness, it popped right out . I plugged it back in and looked for any other loose connections, but i didn't find any others.

after a few minutes, I started it up and engaged the mower blades and it worked.

you guys are good - thanks again for the help.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: