Briggs and Stratton Snowthrower revs and slows

orienteeer

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi all, i'm new here, and kind of a klutz with engines of all kinds, so be gentle with me.
my craftsman snow thrower has a 5hp Briggs and Stratton engine, so i thought i'd post here.
i was using it today. it seemed to start strong, no problems for about the first half-hour.
after that, it started to rhythmically rev and slow, rev and slow, rev and slow.
there's no throttle, just a choke lever, so i can't actually control the rpms.
any help appreciated. thanks in advance!
:smile:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try applying the choke a little at a time and see if it smooths out. If so then you will need to remove the carb, and clean it and install a repair kit. Post the model type and code from the engine so we can see what you are working on for further assistance.

Tinkerer200

Threads
hi all, i'm new here, and kind of a klutz with engines of all kinds, so be gentle with me.
my craftsman snow thrower has a 5hp Briggs and Stratton engine, so i thought i'd post here.
i was using it today. it seemed to start strong, no problems for about the first half-hour.
after that, it started to rhythmically rev and slow, rev and slow, rev and slow.
there's no throttle, just a choke lever, so i can't actually control the rpms.
any help appreciated. thanks in advance!
:smile:

Might try some SeaFoam per instructions on container.

WaltConner

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Skip the SeaFoam and follow IL’s instructions. Sound like rebuild time.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes has above, time for a service to the carburetor. post model number and type so we can help you out.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Yes has above, time for a service to the carburetor. post model number and type so we can help you out.

"Skip the SeaFoam and follow IL’s instructions. Sound like rebuild time."

You guys are awfully quick to jump on my suggestion to try SeaFoam. Did you miss that he said he was not a mechanic? What has he got to lose except a couple of bucks if it doesn't work before paying one of you $75 an hour to work on it? I believe he said it ran well for a while which is an indication it is a good candidate for SeaFoam.

Walt Conner

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
IF ....... you try the Sea-Foam route, and the results are NOT satisfactory, Then, it's most likely time to rebuild your carburetor, here's a link to a site where you can get an idea, of what's involved in the procedure, IF .. you feel confident, that you have the ability, and tools for the job, go for it, we all learned by doing ! whatever you decide, you should also, THOROUGHLY.. clean the ENTIRE fuel system, including the gas-tank, fuel lines,shut-off valve, ( if so equipped) filter, and air filter, no sense in rebuilding the carburetor if say, the tank has contaminated fuel or a clogged filter etc. and re-contaminating a clean carb.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/#id_briggs

... scroll down and find your carb, then check it out

orienteeer

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for taking the time to reply to my problem. as requested, here are the #s for my snow thrower:
Craftsman model 536.881500
5.0 hp, 22" single stage

another thing i remembered: i choke to get it started, naturally, but as i try to lessen the choke, it stalls out after one or 2 clicks.
this is a new problem this season.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try applying the choke a little at a time and see if it smooths out. If so then you will need to remove the carb, and clean it and install a repair kit. Post the model type and code from the engine so we can see what you are working on for further assistance.

This is what ILENGINE is reffering to....

When we ask for the ENGINE information, this is an example of what we need ... THIS, let's US, help YOU !

GET INFO.JPG

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/briggs-stratton-model-locator.aspx

orienteeer

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok, the only additional info i could find, without taking the housing completely off the machine is:

Family: YBSXS.1481HE 275075

hope this is of some help.