Briggs and Stratton snow thrower spitting flames

ryan2148

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello guys I have a Gilson snowblower with a 190000 series briggs and Stratton engine and I was snowblowing at night and noticed a lack of power and bright red glowing exhaust pipe and flames spitting out. I bought it last week and cleaned the carb out and it ran ok. Once I saw the exhaust I read a bit and they said there was a leaking exhaust valve so I pulled the head off and cleaned all of the carbon off and lapped both valves and set the valve clearances (.012" exhaust and .009" intake) . Put it all back together and the exhaust pipe was still glowing and still spitting flames. Now I am suspecting the valve timing as the engine was rebuilt by the previous owner.(its over 40 years old) I have attached a picture IMG_0228 2.jpg Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lean is the only thing that will make exhaust run hot, or under fueling, timing that too far out of adjustment so check it out.

ryan2148

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I have tried richening it and leaning it and it makes no difference the engine just spins slower when it is rich. Also it only throws snow about 3 ft even when the exaust is glowing so I don’t think the engine is spinning fast enough. (The belts are new and properly tensioned)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don’t have your valve clearances set properly. For a 190000 series engine, your unit intake should be between .005-.007 and exhaust should be between .009-.011. Start by setting them to specs and then adjust your carb.

ryan2148

Forum Newbie
Threads
The reason I set the valve clearances a bit high is because I thought the exhaust valve was opening too soon and this was recommended by a different site. Having bigger valve clearences would cause the opposite problem

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Make sure that the carb has been well cleaned and set up right, also check that the gasket(s) between carb and engine are not letting air in somewhere making a lean mix.

ryan2148

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have already done this and the seals are good and the carb is cleaned (as posted above) it spins really slow and sounds Rich when I richen it out

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seems that the other site is where you feel you are getting the best info, in your opinion. I’ve not heard that opening valve clearances will give you a richer mixture, but maybe I’m wrong. Will get out of the way and let someone with more knowledge than me see if they can help you.