holy engine block!

asicard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Need some advice... I replaced the starter ring gear on my rider mower's flywheel and when I was putting the flywheel back on, I had to drill out one of the flywheel puller bolts because it snapped off during removal. When I drilled out the hole in the flywheel it went through the top of the engine block, unbeknownst to me. So I started it and did a couple laps and then it started smoking. I took the flywheel back off to see if the seal was leaking and that's when I discovered the hole I accidentally drilled through the top of the engine.

I think I can keep this engine alive for a few more years if I plug this hole. Should I tap and put a short bolt into the hole, JB weld or aluminum solder?

Engine internals all look good - nothing bent, broken or thrown. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Engine is a 1995 Briggs & Stratton (Craftsman) 19HP I/C Gold Twin

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The pros here familiar with that engine will edit what I say. If you only hit aluminum it can be weld repaired, but it depends upon what all you hit, the disassembly effort required, other components damaged, if any etc. I know many love JB Weld but I wonder if it can hold back combustion pressures ?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
IF you decide NOT to weld it, and use a metal repair agent, better think of using a product used by the Military, it's known as DEVCON , it's NOT cheap , but neither is a block, or the future aggravation of a constant worry !

http://devconeurope.com/key-markets/metal-repair/ ..Yes it's available locally, just Google... Devcon.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My .02, If you have a decent round hole, I would see what tap would be correct, & put grease on the tap to help keep cuttings from going in the engine.

Then get an end plug, I'd wipe the threads with JB Weld & close it off.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tap & short bolt ( or even a grub screw) applied with plenty of locktite or similar.
Use a heavy coating of tacky grease on the drill & the tap, removing them regularly to clean the turnings out of the flutes then regrease and carry on.
Change the oil several times ( like after each mow ) to remove any turnings inside the engine.
Should be fine the puller holes are far enough away from the top bush to lower the structural integrity of the cases .

asicard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for these ideas guys! The hole is only in the block, and internals were not affected. I like the suggestion to tap and coat JB WELD (or maybe DEVCON) on the threads.:thumbsup: Thanks for the tips on tapping - will def use grease and be mindful of any shavings! lol, I had never heard of a 'grub' screw before - another great idea