Toro 223D engine problem

Hdonly

Threads
Hello all. New to the forum. I am having some problems starting my 223D with the Mitsubishi diesel engine. It is hard to start and smokes lots of black smoke when it does finally start. Smoke clears up once it is running. I have replaced the fuel filter and air filter. It has been slow to start since I got it last fall. Seems to be worse, but it is also colder outside. I replaced the battery. I ordered a new starter as it still seems to turn over slow with the new battery. I'm hoping it is just turning over too slow and the new starter will fix it. If not, I am thinking one or more injectors may be dribbling fuel instead of spraying correctly. The glow plugs get hot so I think they are ok. I have to keep the glow plug switch on longer that the book says while cranking the engine. It acts like a gas motor when it's half flooding. Opinions?00y0y_7uR9YI5Ax8Y_1200x900.jpg00r0r_1BBXFC9MW0h_1200x900.jpg00G0G_dzztTKsEsHP_1200x900.jpg00e0e_676wSvS3Lip_1200x900.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Black smoke is too much fuel for air. I would say the injectors are fine especially if it clears up. Old diesel engines love to blow black smoke till they warm up a little. My mower does not allow glow plugs to run during cranking. Heat it up then start it.

Get a bigger battery. 475 CCA min. You need a car battery.

Hdonly

Threads
Black smoke is too much fuel for air. I would say the injectors are fine especially if it clears up. Old diesel engines love to blow black smoke till they warm up a little. My mower does not allow glow plugs to run during cranking. Heat it up then start it.

Get a bigger battery. 475 CCA min. You need a car battery.

Installed a 525cca Excide battery yesterday. No real change in cranking speed. I can hold the glow plug switch on. Still starts hard and blows lots of black smoke when it finally does start. I ordered a new starter (from DB) Wednesday night. It actually just came to my door about 15 minutes ago. Going to change oil and the starter tomorrow morning.

Hdonly

Threads
Went out this afternoon and messed with the TORO a little since it was kinda cold. My book says to hold the glow plug switch 10 seconds when above 40 degrees. I went ahead and held it on for 20 seconds, then hit the starter. Didn't start quick, but it started better than it has been. Not knowing how long the battery sat on the shelf at the store, I put the charger on it for a while before attempting a start. I think I will still put the new starter on it tomorrow. I can always keep the old one for a spare. Oil is really black so it gets changed also. I have no idea how much time is on it. Going to change the drive oil also. From my book it looks like 10w30 SF/CC or CD is good in both the engine and drive. I have new filters for both. I had to change the rear yoke on the mower driveshaft as it broke when the u-joint came apart. Looked like the rear joint has never seen a grease gun. Changed both joints also. Greased the entire machine, changed coolant and have some new tires to put on it. Think I might as well put a paint job on it while I am at it. My plan is to take a lot better care of it than the previous owner did. Also found two of the bolts missing on the muffler where it bolts to the manifold. I think I got it just in time to save it and make a good reliable mower out of it.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it was I, I would replace the glow plug(s)

Hdonly

Threads
Just ordered glow plugs from ebay. Ad stated "set of 4" for $24.23. I thought "Wow, cheaper to buy 4 than 1 on several places I looked". When I got my order confirmation email , it stated "package of one". Yes, I turned around and cancelled that order. Turned around and ordered them from Sparkplugs.com. Some shady goings-on on ebay.

Hdonly

Threads
If it was I, I would replace the glow plug(s)

Well. i ordered some glow plugs. I got out after the rain today and changed the oil and filter. Got to fiddling around the engine while it was draining. Found that aluminum connector that goes across the glow plugs was split at one end and loose under the nut. I pulled the nut off, straightened the connector, added a washer and I was off to the races. Engine started much better. I was only using two glow plugs. Now I had three. Now I have three spares. Thank you all.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
At sometime you will need them, good to know its up and running better and you did check it out...!:thumbsup:

Hdonly

Threads
I just can't believe I missed that being loose. I even checked for voltage at each glow plug. I guess, like many bad connections, it would show voltage on the meter, but fail when the load was put to it. It will re-start when warm now, as it has the timer box on the plugs that is tied in to the starter circuit. Change the hydraulic oil and I am ready for the grass to start growing again. Thanks again all.

Hdonly

Threads
I know this is a little old. My 223D got to the point it wouldn't start at all. The glow plugs I ordered were the wrong parts-too long. I pulled all three of the old ones out and put 12 volts to them. All three heated up quick. Put them back in. The starter I had ordered was also wrong. Had to send it back. I just recently found the correct starter.Put it on and the engine starts like a new one. About 5 seconds on the glow plug switch, 3/4 open on the throttle and it fires right up with near no smoke. I am finally happy with my Toro.