Valve Guide replacement 19.5hp

markt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 19.5hp 42E707-2631E1 That I need to bore the valve guides and replace them
with bronze guides. I have the new guides but has anyone done this ? is there a kit for
aligning the boring bit to the valve seat ??

thanks
Mark

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You hone the guides once installed to suit the valves.
You then recut the seats to match the guides, not the guides to match the seats.
All of the valve seat grinding kits work this way.
Kits are expensive and you will be much better served by taking it to a dealer and getting them to do the seats.

I use a Neway kit, which is fairly standard and the Neway Briggs kit is around $ 400

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The valve guides are replaced using part number 19232 valve guide repair kit, which is no longer available from briggs but can be purchased from other sources like ebay.

markt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 19.5hp 42E707-2631E1 That I need to bore the valve guides and replace them
with bronze guides. I have the new guides but has anyone done this ? is there a kit for
aligning the boring bit to the valve seat ??

thanks
Mark

>>>>>>>>>>>
Great DOC thanks, next question is so do I use the service bushing noted on page 5,,
or the full Brass or Sintered Valve Guides listed on page 6.

I purchased 4 guides 2,, 261961 and 2, 231218,, but maybe I can not use these
and must use the service guide 231218...

Any one know the correct answer ??? from memory my block value guides are just
bored into the aluminum block, I dont think there is anything to push out.
I was thinking I would have to bore the guide slots and then press in the brass guide...

thanks
Mark

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You will need to look at the guide if present to determine what replacement to use. The ones that have no installed guide would be the instructions for the aluminum guides, the others are factory installed, and if I remember correctly you thread them and then use the tool to screw into them and pull them out and then drive the new one in. The guide part numbers were never part of the parts diagram, they have always been listed in the service mahual, so you have to make the determination on what is previously installed and what part of the repair kit that you need to use to effect the repair.

markt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have no factory guides installed in the aluminum block. so 261961 ex and 231218 for intake will not work ?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Since there is no guide installed then you have the aluminum guides. You will have to use the boring tools to ream out the hole according to the instruction and then install 231218 as listed in the instructions under aluminum valve guides.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
This info is located on Pg.7 in SECTION 5 of the Manual, Since I personally have NO experience on this type engine, between ILENGINE and Pgs. --5,6,& 7 and the Installation kit Instructions, this should cover the issue.

A guides.PNG

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you aware of the problem with guides in these air cooled engines? Movement of guide in softened aluminum head (IMO) due to excess heat. In a later ? Briggs Intek 24 you could not buy guides ,only the complete head. My take after trying to reinstall guides with proper .002" press fit, but which moved again? Briggs knows you cannot succeed. I hope your head is an exception. Someone stated there is a loctite formula , but I could not find anything that would live beyond 340F a couple years back. Good luck, just my slant.