Scag Tiger Cat Mower 52" Zero Turn

Kauai Nursery

Forum Newbie
Threads
Our Scag Tiger Cat Mower 52" Zero Turn does not charge and the battery just runs down fast. Any ideas where I should start to look?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start by looking at your owners manual where you wrote down the engine model & serial number , along with the serial number of the mower.
Post them here so we who are not standing there with you , looking at your mower , drinking your beer can work out what you have and give you good advice about how to go about fixing it.

Otherwise you will get generic advice which while being correct will be clumsy & a bit difficult for you to work out what we are trying to tell you.

While you are at it,
Does the battery hold charge overnight or for longer ?
Dose it run down while you are driving or only while mowing ?

Luffydog

Threads
I would get a voltmeter and check for a good ground. Then check battery voltage. Start then engine go full throttle and check voltage. If voltage goes up from 12 to 13 u know your charging. If not I would check fuses. If fuse is blown replace and recheck voltage. If charging good but doesn't mean your prob is solved just yet because something caused the fuse to blow. But if not charging I would expect the voltage regulator to be at fault or wiring. If it is charging good after fuse replacement and it doesn't blow until after you apply the pto I would say the clutch is at fault and is drawing more than the charging sys. Can handle and over hearing and blowing the fuse. 2 test is in need to find out. One being the ohms test. Two being the amp draw test. What engine is on the unit?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the fuse in the yellow wiring.
What engine does your machine have?
How old is the battery?
Are the battery terminals clean?
Where are you that you are still mowing?

Luffydog

Threads
I thinking this might be a problem since last season.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had problems with one of mine doing that. It was a fuse. When we changed the fuse many times it would run a day or two before it blew it again. At times though it would not run but an hour or two and it would blow it again. We changed the fuse holders finally and have had NO Problems since. Therefore that would be the first place I would look.

Luffydog

Threads
Yes as electricity flows it cause heat and friction and over time they will lose and gain connection in the fuse holder and cause failure not only there but Through out the whole harness.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes as electricity flows it cause heat and friction and over time they will lose and gain connection in the fuse holder and cause failure not only there but Through out the whole harness.

Absolutely agree with you. In fact from now on if I have problems with anything related to those issues from now on the first thing I will do is change fuse holders.