Kawasaki FR600V Starter

specmiata

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Cub Cadet has the Kawasaki engine and is having a starter problem. The armature spins fine and the starter gear is engaged with the flywheel gear but the gear is just spinning on the armature and not turning over the engine. Is it a one way bearing in the gear or how does it connect with the armature? The diagrams I've found look like it is just a gear with a bronze bushing. Thanks.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The bendex spins the starter gear so either the bendex is loose on the starter shaft or the engagement between the bendex worm gear & the drive gear is bad.
Bendex unit complete is a replacement part.
Not sure how yours is held on.
Some are keyed, some are splines and some have a grub screw.
So off with the covers and have a close look th see which bits are not turning.
usually it will be the gear itself.

specmiata

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well by the parts manual picture I'm not sure. Parts # 21080 is the armature and says nothing about a bendix. I took starter off and the gear spins and moves out on the shaft like it should. Put it back on and it engages with flywheel gear but armature spins and starter gear doesn't. Just am not sure what's on the armature shaft. But the pictures there is no bendix available.

Attachments

• iplimage.jpg
    iplimage.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 34

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry.
I did not look up the parts diagram when you said Bendix I had assumed there was a bendix there and all bendix engagements work the same.
You have a sprag clutch so you are looking at replacing part number 92210A and 92093.
On my parts diagram neither are listed as replacement parts although the service manual provides a test and recommends replacement if it fails.

specmiata

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure. The first part is called a nut and the second is a seal. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Makes no sense.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not sure. The first part is called a nut and the second is a seal. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Makes no sense.

Yes that is what it says in my parts book as well and what the parts book shows does not match with what the photos in the manual shows.
So pull the nut off the top and see what is there.
Either there is a helex cut into the end of the shaft ( making the gear & shaft a bendix gear ) or that "seal" is a sprag clutch.
The manual says to try rotating the gear.
It should turn on the shaft one way and not the other and that is just what sprag clutchs do.

specmiata

Forum Newbie
Threads
So apparently, when the armature spins, the nut (think it's mislabeled) 92210A/B has curved internal splines which sends it up the shaft to push the starter gear out into the ring gear and that works correctly. When the "nut" moves up and the gear hits the metal stop washer, it seems the seal (92093 rubber washer) is supposed to get pinched between the flanged part of the "nut and the bottom side of the gear so the friction is supposed to in turn, spin the gear along with the "nut". The top of the nut is pretty polished up and so is the bottom of the gear where the "seal rubs on them. I guess the washer has glazed over and is not gripping the two metal pieces. Only thing that makes sense so I guess I'll replace the rubber and take the polished surface off the metal pieces.

Attachments

• gear.jpg
    gear.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 23

WheezyRider

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi specmiata. I'm having the same issue with the same motor and starter. Did you resolve the problem and, if so, how? Any help you can provide will be much appreciated!! Cheers.

specmiata

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes I resolved the issue by cleaning up the parts and deglazing them. The rubber washer was glazed over and sanding it and cleaning it made it grab again like I mentioned above.