Snow cab part II

Bullseye

Threads
My homemade cab has kept me warm and dry. Because of arthritis (I am 70 years old) it is a little uncomfortable to crank the handle that controls the chute direction. I looked for affordable motors and switches. I found I could buy one for about $50.00 with taxes and shipping. I decided to look around my garage some more and came up with the following FREE solution.

I found an 18 volt electric drill - motor and battery in one unit. No wires.

I thought about how to connect the drill to the chute's control shaft. Pulleys and a small belt? Naw, too busy and probably trouble prone. Saw off the crank and use the shaft? Naw, in a pinch I may need that crank. I ended up with a simple solution. I shortened a 3/16" Allen wrench to fit inside the crank and used three small hose clamps to fasten it. I then chucked the drill onto the short end of the Allen wrench. That is it! No mounting bracket. No wiring or switches. The drill simply hangs there ready for use. Because of the engine heat routed into my soft cab I don't need gloves.

I know it isn't pretty, but it works and it did not co$t me anything. Plus, I am left-handed and can easily operate the trigger and reverse selector without taking my eyes off of the snow ahead. The photograph of the chuck/Allen key/clamps needs to be rotated, sorry.

~Leedrill.jpg

Attachments

• allen.jpg
    allen.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Showing fine here, nice McGyer job.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
NO-SHOW here either ...... maybe puter security settings ??

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
My homemade cab has kept me warm and dry. Because of arthritis (I am 70 years old) it is a little uncomfortable to crank the handle that controls the chute direction. I looked for affordable motors and switches. I found I could buy one for about $50.00 with taxes and shipping. I decided to look around my garage some more and came up with the following FREE solution.

I found an 18 volt electric drill - motor and battery in one unit. No wires.

I thought about how to connect the drill to the chute's control shaft. Pulleys and a small belt? Naw, too busy and probably trouble prone. Saw off the crank and use the shaft? Naw, in a pinch I may need that crank. I ended up with a simple solution. I shortened a 3/16" Allen wrench to fit inside the crank and used three small hose clamps to fasten it. I then chucked the drill onto the short end of the Allen wrench. That is it! No mounting bracket. No wiring or switches. The drill simply hangs there ready for use. Because of the engine heat routed into my soft cab I don't need gloves.

I know it isn't pretty, but it works and it did not co$t me anything. Plus, I am left-handed and can easily operate the trigger and reverse selector without taking my eyes off of the snow ahead. The photograph of the chuck/Allen key/clamps needs to be rotated, sorry.

~LeeView attachment 35595

Got them this try !!

mowerman05

Threads
Got them this time, you use the drill on hi or low speed?

Bullseye

Threads
Got them this time, you use the drill on hi or low speed?

It's a trigger controlled variable speed drill. I only use a lower speed pull.
We had a six inch snowfall last night and I did our drive, walkway and a
path in the backyard for our little Miniature Schnauzer to do her business.
It worked fine. Since I haven't incorporated any limit switches for travel
so I am careful not to "bang" it at the end of either direction. So far (just
one real use) I am satisfied with it as is. The only negative is, it just doesn't
look right, if you get my drift. I may replace the Allen Wrench with something
that provides a little more clearance between the plastic crank handle and
my hand. It hasn't caught me "YET", but you know how that goes... http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/images/icons/icon12.png

With the cab, LED lighting, weights and chute spinner I have only invested
$150 to maybe $180 and still have four LED units left over that I will place
on my X390 when Spring comes. It was a fun project that kept my mind
and hands busy.

~Lee

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Necessity,... is the "mother of invention" .........Where there's a will, ...There's a way ! Keep at it Lee !! ...:thumbsup: