Engine dies when I engage blades

wayneu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, I an new here.

I have a Scag TT52A that died when I moved over a very small bush in my pasture. When I restarted and engaged the blades it died within a few seconds. I put a wrench on all the spindles and they turn. I thought maybe I picked up something that wrapped around one of the blades, but they are all clear. From the sound of the engine when it dies it sounds like the blades are under load, but I can't see anything.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have to checked to see if you partially tossed your deck belt? I had the same thing happen once and it turned out that the belt was off the pulley and wedged under it.

P.S. - you could have some brush wedged in your belt/pulleys too.

wayneu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have to checked to see if you partially tossed your deck belt? I had the same thing happen once and it turned out that the belt was off the pulley and wedged under it.

P.S. - you could have some brush wedged in your belt/pulleys too.

I will check the belt. I checked for debris in the pulleys and they were clear. Good thought. Thanks.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Alright. Please let us know if that checks out. If no issues there you may have damaged your PTO maybe? There are some pretty knowledgeable members here who can help you to get to the bottom of your issue (I'm not really one of them, lol).

Luffydog

Threads
Start then pull one plug off at a time if you pull #1 off and it still runs means #2 is ok and vice versa but if you pull #1 off and it quits prob lies in that cyc that you left the plug wire on. I would see about a compression check after you find what cyc is down.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the engine stops dead when you engage the PTO usually this will be a fault in the wiring.
The mower "thinks" you are not in the drivers seat so shuts down when the blades are engaged so you don't cut off your own foot.

I am not familiar with Scag wiring but from memory there is a relay in the system as well.
Basically the seat switch , the PTO switch & the magneto are in a closed loop.
If any one grounds out the engine dies.

If the engine bogs down the dies you have an engine problem, usually with the governor or fuel supply.

Luffydog

Threads
Sorry I miss read. My guess I would have to say seat switch. Take a test light hook to + check for ground first. Then move move over to - turn key on for all these light blue pto when pulled should light. Pink parking brake. Brown seat. Orange handles.

Last edited:

Luffydog

Threads
Forgot to say check out of the safety control module and at the other points as well. Should lead you to where you need to go and get you going. Most of the time if it was a relay or switch it would put it in a no start. Hope this helps.

tony75

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ran into this this summer, but it was also blowing the 30amp fuse.

Culprit: The terminated end of the wiring harness where some of the wires were tied together was between the seat frame and the main frame. It must have been that way for some time, because it was wore through the black protective webbing exposing the wire and causing it to short out.

I put some heat shrink around the exposed area and zip tied it out of the way. No problems now.

Check your entire wiring harness...you have a short somewhere.

Luffydog

Threads
I still say pto switch