HOOD REPAIR of JD MOWER

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
In case you have a cracked hood and want to REPAIR it instead of replacing it .$$$$$

This might be a worthwhile investment of a few minutes time. ..:thumbsup:

https://www.polyvance.com/John-Deere-Lawn-Tractor-Hood-Repair/

There are cheaper tools, equipment that can be used, see post (GAS -TANK (PLASTIC) REPAIR)
in the (Mowers Equipment & Operation Forum)

Last edited:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boobala, Thanks, a good article missing one key ingredient. The cost of a plastic welder and the experience to use one. Not an authority, but I bought a welder years ago with limited success. Mine may be the wrong technology-electric tip only. Other types use air also. Don't know what a replacement hood costs from Deere, probably plenty. Rough estimate for a welder , at least $200. Maybe this article was meant to refer people to a body shop. A rough repair could be made with aluminum sheet and aluminum pop rivets....yeah, really ugly, but it would give the tractor "character." :laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Eastwoods sell several different plastic welding kits starting at $ 60.
In reality all you need is a soldering iron with a broad tip and some filler material.

Plastic welding is dirt easy and like regular welding it is all about temperature control.
Like electric welding it is all about cleaning the joint & preparing it properly.
Done dozens with nothing more than an old copper iron heated with a kerrosene torch.

The only tricky bit is working out what type of plastic you have and using the same material to to do the repair.
Neither PE nor PP will properly join to PVC .
Once upon a time you had to heat a small bit, see if it melted, not how it burned and what smells it gave off.
Thanks to those nice Eurpoeans who brought in product disposal laws decades ago all moulded plastic parts have a little triangle with a number in it so all you have to do is match the numbers.
What confuses people is the colour which in all cases is a metallic filling compound and totally irrelevent .

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boobala, Thanks, a good article missing one key ingredient. The cost of a plastic welder and the experience to use one. Not an authority, but I bought a welder years ago with limited success. Mine may be the wrong technology-electric tip only. Other types use air also. Don't know what a replacement hood costs from Deere, probably plenty. Rough estimate for a welder , at least $200. Maybe this article was meant to refer people to a body shop. A rough repair could be made with aluminum sheet and aluminum pop rivets....yeah, really ugly, but it would give the tractor "character." :laughing:

MOTOMAN, : I think you may have missed my other post... ( mentioned in JD hood repair post) see OTHER post ... ( GAS-TANK (PLASTIC) REPAIRS ) in the ( Mowers & Equipment Operation ) forum ..........it has other sites with more info. & cheaper Equipment.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've successfully just used JB Weld, to cover over the rivets from the piece of tin underneath, "V" out the crack & fill that in too. Sand to smooth & re-paint.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boobala, Sorry if I missed your article.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boobala, Sorry if I missed your article.

NOW you have me confused,... go back in THIS thread ...... RE-read post # 4

I have ANOTHER post in a different FORUM on this site .

FORUM : Mowers & Equipment Operation ...... THREAD : GAS-TANK (PLASTIC) REPAIRS