grasshopper 727k2 electrical problems

HomerC

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a grasshopper 727k2. It had a Kohler CH740 engine. Had a fire and replaced with Kohler CH742. My problem is that the fire destroyed electrical connector between engine and mower. The wires coming from the new engine white, green, purple and red. The wires coming from the mower to the connector are red, yellow, black and purple. I can find no info as to which wires to match. I am also a newbe to the forum. Thanks for any help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Purple will be the + feed from the rectifier to the battery so they will connect together.
Yellow should be the magneto wire, check it by measuring the resistance between it and a good ground.
Should be open circuit ( infinity or OL ) when the ignition switch is turned to the on position.
This wire will go to the coil so you will have to take the blower housing off & check which engine wire goes to the magneto.
Double & triple check that at no time the yellow wire shows battery voltage before you connect it.
The green wire should be the trigger feed to the starter solenoid.
Check this by setting the parking brake & making sure the PTO is in the off position.
Measure the voltage between the green wire and ground.
It should go + 12 V when the key is in the start position and 0 V in the run position.
This will go to the small terminal on the starter motor if it has one or to the small terminal on the remote starter solenoid if it has one of them.
The final wire should show + 12 to ground both in the start position & the run position but 0 V in the off position.
This is the fuel shut off solenoid wire, chase the wire from the solenoid under the carb to work out which wire to connect to.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

I'm going to move this thread over to our Kohler engine section.