YTH2148 gas tank discontinued

bbbrianj

Forum Newbie
Threads
The gas tank needs to be replaced and I've found the part number is 532179022. This transfers to AYP179022 or HOP179022 but all are discontinued. Anyone know of a source or any alternatives that might work?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The gas tank needs to be replaced and I've found the part number is 532179022. This transfers to AYP179022 or HOP179022 but all are discontinued. Anyone know of a source or any alternatives that might work?

IF you really REALLY want it ! better have DEEP pockets ! ( I can't believe some $#@&%$##$@ would charge this much ) I feel for ya fella .

A TANK A.PNG...A TANK B.PNG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So what is wrong with your tank ?
Splits & cracks can be repaired as can wear holes.
If however it is crumbling from the exposure to UV it can not.

I have just replaced the tank on a JD 125 and paid a similar price for a new tank.
Go to a mower wrecker or independent mower repair shop there will be a lot of different tanks that will fit or can be made to fit with a few small alterations.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
IF you really REALLY want it ! better have DEEP pockets ! ( I can't believe some $#@&%$##$@ would charge this much ) I feel for ya fella .

View attachment 35552...View attachment 35553

Its all about they have it and you don't but need it. That is the problem with outdated equipment. That leaves you with the options to repair, replace, or modify. I have had very good luck with repairing gas tanks with Seals-All which is sold in many hardware stores.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
IF you are going to attempt to repair your tank, see my post .......
GAS TANK (PLASTIC) REPAIR in the ( Mower & Equipment Operation ) Forum

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Its all about they have it and you don't but need it. That is the problem with outdated equipment. That leaves you with the options to repair, replace, or modify. I have had very good luck with repairing gas tanks with Seals-All which is sold in many hardware stores.

And people very quickly forget that some one has paid for that tank years ago and that dead money could have been earning interest or reduced an overdraft so has actually cost the vendor a lot more than they are asking.
No including the space it has occupied on a shelf which could have bee housing a faster turn over part.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
And people very quickly forget that some one has paid for that tank years ago and that dead money could have been earning interest or reduced an overdraft so has actually cost the vendor a lot more than they are asking.
No including the space it has occupied on a shelf which could have bee housing a faster turn over part.

I see it like this, most used parts came off a machine that was trashed, for one reason or another, the INTENT, I believe is, the part(s) could be needed by someone, somewhere, down the line. All well and dandy, however there are people.?? (&^$#%%#@#@$ A-Holes) that have a part they know has been discontinued or otherwise not available, and they choose to rape the person needing said part, sure they COULD have put the sum they paid for it in the first place into a bank account or whatever, and I'm sure if they did NOT have the space to put the part into, it would have been trashed or given away, in the first place, BUT they decided otherwise ! so, if the party needing that part, refuses to pay the price, the part just sits there un-used and eventually (unless preserved) becomes UN-useable. Then, BOTH parties have lost out. Where I come from, folks DON'T expect to be GIVEN things of this nature, usually prices for a used item runs at anywhere from 10% to 50% of NEW part cost, (even NOS parts are negotiated) depending on condition of the part and attitudes of the negotiating parties just because a guy has something another guy needs, it's NOT ( in my book, anyway) the moral thing to do, to rape him on the price of said item, personally, I would tell him to sit on that tank till Hell freezes over, and would keep looking, BUT "jury-rig" something to work in the meantime. ( Remember Apollo13 )

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
People have a right to make a living.
If people can not make a living from pulling old mowers apart and selling the bits then no one will do it and all of those old mowers will end up in landfill or the recycle bin.
The early 100 series JD's had a 2 piece tank that failed regularly.
The replacement kit is $ 175 ( aust ) trade .
So the price for a good used tank seems quite reasonable to me.
Scarcity will drive up the price of everything.

I have a friend with a car wrecking yard.
They charge 75 % of the new price for current model parts and it goes down to 50% for cars up to 15 years old then goes back up for older vehicles till the price for some is 200% of the no longer available new part price.
The owners have 2 choices, pay him for the part or go somewhere else.
This is the principle of the free market we all worship.

He had a person in there chasing a rear light unit so he went to get one ( he had several ). the person looked at it, asked the price then looked again.
After this he started pointing to every flaw and demmanding a little bit off for each & every one till it was less than 1/4 of the original asking price.
The person was then told, my price or go away.
This had now taken well over an hour and the person would not leave nor would they pay the asking price.
During this time the customer had stated several times that he had the only one of this in Australia.
Finally he had enough so he looked the customer in the eye, asked one last time if he would pay the price for the "last one in Australia " and the customer refused so he pulled a hammer out from under the counter and smashed the assembly.
Telling him "now no more in Australia so go away" the by now irate customer with a car he could not register without a good rear light unit lept across the counter and attempted to stab him.
The customer got 18 months for assult after recovering and leaving hospital.

Rent on a car space in the rack costs $ 200 / year. So a car sitting there for 20 years has cost him $ 4000, even if it was free to pick up.
Then you add the time taken to disassemble the vehicle, the cost of the bins & racks the pulled parts get put in and the fact he has the knowledge to know what a 1972 Renault 12 tail lamp assembly looks like.
Try walking into a Renault dealer and asking for that without having a VIN number.
As he has stated on many times to many customers, he is the one who did not go to Bali for holidays, worked in the 40 deg heat & pouring rain.
He is the one who bought old vehicles that no one else would pay for thus depriving himself of little pleasures as they had to be bought as & when they became available and then the hundreds of thousands of dollars in stock have to sit there till some one comes in & buys them.
It is not a retail store when the goods get delivered to his loading dock so he had to go out and drive to where ever the vehicle was so some owed him well over $ 1000 in transport costs alone.
Then there are taxes & insurances to be paid each & every year so some vehicles he looses money on if you consider the alternative uses the money could have been put to or just the interest that could have been compounding for 50 years.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
People have a right to make a living.
If people can not make a living from pulling old mowers apart and selling the bits then no one will do it and all of those old mowers will end up in landfill or the recycle bin.
The early 100 series JD's had a 2 piece tank that failed regularly.
The replacement kit is $ 175 ( aust ) trade .
So the price for a good used tank seems quite reasonable to me.
Scarcity will drive up the price of everything.

I have a friend with a car wrecking yard.
They charge 75 % of the new price for current model parts and it goes down to 50% for cars up to 15 years old then goes back up for older vehicles till the price for some is 200% of the no longer available new part price.
The owners have 2 choices, pay him for the part or go somewhere else.
This is the principle of the free market we all worship.

He had a person in there chasing a rear light unit so he went to get one ( he had several ). the person looked at it, asked the price then looked again.
After this he started pointing to every flaw and demmanding a little bit off for each & every one till it was less than 1/4 of the original asking price.
The person was then told, my price or go away.
This had now taken well over an hour and the person would not leave nor would they pay the asking price.
During this time the customer had stated several times that he had the only one of this in Australia.
Finally he had enough so he looked the customer in the eye, asked one last time if he would pay the price for the "last one in Australia " and the customer refused so he pulled a hammer out from under the counter and smashed the assembly.
Telling him "now no more in Australia so go away" the by now irate customer with a car he could not register without a good rear light unit lept across the counter and attempted to stab him.
The customer got 18 months for assult after recovering and leaving hospital.

Rent on a car space in the rack costs $ 200 / year. So a car sitting there for 20 years has cost him $ 4000, even if it was free to pick up.
Then you add the time taken to disassemble the vehicle, the cost of the bins & racks the pulled parts get put in and the fact he has the knowledge to know what a 1972 Renault 12 tail lamp assembly looks like.
Try walking into a Renault dealer and asking for that without having a VIN number.
As he has stated on many times to many customers, he is the one who did not go to Bali for holidays, worked in the 40 deg heat & pouring rain.
He is the one who bought old vehicles that no one else would pay for thus depriving himself of little pleasures as they had to be bought as & when they became available and then the hundreds of thousands of dollars in stock have to sit there till some one comes in & buys them.
It is not a retail store when the goods get delivered to his loading dock so he had to go out and drive to where ever the vehicle was so some owed him well over $ 1000 in transport costs alone.
Then there are taxes & insurances to be paid each & every year so some vehicles he looses money on if you consider the alternative uses the money could have been put to or just the interest that could have been compounding for 50 years.

Making a living and helping someone "in a pickle" is one thing, RAPING someone out of pure greed is another!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Making a living and helping someone "in a pickle" is one thing, RAPING someone out of pure greed is another!

First of all if he doesn't like the price he doesn't have to buy it. I will make a guess that the mower is so old they don't make parts for it anymore. Have you walked into a antique shop and priced something for big dollars and then go down the road to a lawn sale and see the same thing that some one is almost giving it away. You call it greed but its just knowing what you have and what its worth. It makes it a lot worst when I have a repair in my shop with older equipment and need one of these parts that I have to spend hours find it. I have to mark the price up even higher. At that time of the repair I call the customer for a yes or no answer and if its no I just lost all my time looking.
This all has to be added into the labor cost. So at what point in time do you buy a new mower or keep repairing the old one that you can't buy parts for anymore? I am sure what ever you did for a living you got paid for it as most people do and didn't call it greed.