X585 Will Not Start - after new battery and plugs

digirolad

Forum Newbie
Threads
A week ago I got a great idea - leave the mower out in the rain to rinse off the salt from snowthrowing. The next day it got down to single digits and everything froze - even the PTO for a while. I noticed the brake pedal that I need to engage to start the machine had trouble fully depressing (I thought it may be frozen). After a while it depressed but then I could not get the pedal to come back all the way. Finally, it did and the motor started, but conked out. After two more tries, it started and ran enough for me to plow three driveways.
Two days later I tried to start the machine with no luck. I jumped it and got it started to put in the garage. However, from there it would not start - even while jumping it. I changed the plugs, put some dry gas in the tank and bought a new battery. Still no luck. It get plenty of juice but just does not turn over. For some reason, I think the problem is connected to the brake pedal or something electrical. Any ideas?

Disclaimer: I know a lot of guys are fully mechanical geniuses but not me - just the opposite. If you tell me to get some electrical gizmo to check the voltage on the coil - unless it's a step-by-step process - I'd be lost. This needs to be something I can fix rather easily or I'll have to take it to the dealer - 90 minutes away - and I'm trying to avoid that.

Thanks, all.

TJR345

Threads
I would start by drying it out.Heat the area that it is stored in.If you still have problems it could be a safety switch.

digirolad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I noticed when I turned the key I did not hear the fuel pump trying to run. Wondering if a wire got shorted or a fuse blown. Located two 15A fused on right side of engine - they're ok. Found a 20A fuse on the other side - ok. Am I missing the fuse?
I checked the fuel filter an no gas coming out when I tried to turn over the engine. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb and it tried to turn over. I think no fuel is the issue.
Other suggestions?

TJR345

Threads
I'm trying to remember how that works,is there any square relay switches below the circuit board.One would have to close to start the fuel pump.Did you check all your safety switches,pto off seat sw. and break sw.
On the circuit board you have 2 lights a red and green when the key is in the on/run position.Green stays lit.Red goes out when the brake peddle is pushed in.If the pto sw. is on when you push the brake in then release the red light goes out.The red tells you that all safety sw. are working completing the loop.

digirolad

Forum Newbie
Threads
45 degrees out today so I looked around the machine trying to folliw wires to the fuel pump and engine. For the heck of it I tried to start it up and it ran for a moment then the red EFI light on the instrument panel lit up flashed on and off) and it stalled. When I turned up the throttle it seemed to run better. I have nothing in the owner's manual as to what causes the EFI light to come on or what to do about it.
Makes me wonder if I have a bare wire somewhere. Suggestions?

rkchainsaw

Threads
  • / X585 Will Not Start - after new battery and plugs
I agree with TJR345. Dry it out and check the safety switch's. Then I would check out the forum on "wfmachines.com".(Weekend Freedom Machines) This is an awesome John Deere site and I am sure that someone will get you pointed in the right direction. Good luck.