New Old Timer

Mow&Go

Forum Newbie
Threads
New here and starting up a part-time lawn mowing biz. Just purchased a 2018 Hustler Raptor Limited 52" this week and getting ready for my first season.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to the site and good luck with your new business. It's kind of fun...at first! If you've never operated a zer-turn mower before you can expect to do some turf damage while turning. I've been mowing commercially since 2002 and still do from time to time. It's a good idea to carry a small bag of grass seed. Also these mowers get stuck pretty easily. I suggest you have a plan for when it happens. That's my free advice. Anything more gets billed at my consultant rate ;)

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Hoping you have a great first season!

Mow&Go

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome to the site and good luck with your new business. It's kind of fun...at first! If you've never operated a zer-turn mower before you can expect to do some turf damage while turning. I've been mowing commercially since 2002 and still do from time to time. It's a good idea to carry a small bag of grass seed. Also these mowers get stuck pretty easily. I suggest you have a plan for when it happens. That's my free advice. Anything more gets billed at my consultant rate ;)

Thanks for the free advice! I've been practicing 3 pt turns in my backyard.

NorthBama

Threads
Welcome looks like its going to be a long hot summer :laughing:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the free advice! I've been practicing 3 pt turns in my backyard.
I usually only do a 3 point turn on soggy/tender or really thin/weak turf. The key to doing a zero turn is to keep both tires rolling at all times rather than pivoting on the inside tire...as soon as it stalls out you need to reverse it. You need to make sure that you're separating the sticks, in practical terms. It's easier to learn on a hydro walk-behind mower because you can see both wheels and exactly what they're doing. A lot of guys in my area do zero turns in the road, the driveway or other hard surfaces but it leaves grass ground in and I think it's unprofessional, besides being rough on the tires.

I trained my wife to operate a "Z" by telling her it's just like pushing a heavy shopping cart. It really is...and most people find that analogy helpful. In reality, I don't do a true zero turn of course, if I did I'd end up going back down the row I just mowed...lol.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome & Best wishes for a prosperous 1st season.

My Dad taught me as a kid, if you go out & do your job, & bring your equipment back home in good condition, that day was a success.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And to add to the advice Darrly gave.
I teach my customers who are new to ZTR's to do all the steering with their dominant hand ans use the other one to regulate speeds.
Firstly this will make you do wide turns when you are starting off and as Darryl noted, keep both wheels turning.
When you are no longer thinking about what you are doing you will suddenly notice you are two hand steering.
It is all about eye hand co-ordination and muscle memory.