322 hard to start

garyao49

Threads
Seems like it takes forever for my 322 to start. New fuel filter, fuel pump and took carb off and cleaned it. Still will crank for a long time on chock to start. One it starts it runs good but have to chock it even when it's hot. Anyone know what the problem might be? JD doesen't sell a card kit, you have to buy each part separate or buy a new carb. Anyone know what the problem is?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seems like it takes forever for my 322 to start. New fuel filter, fuel pump and took carb off and cleaned it. Still will crank for a long time on chock to start. One it starts it runs good but have to chock it even when it's hot. Anyone know what the problem might be? JD doesen't sell a card kit, you have to buy each part separate or buy a new carb. Anyone know what the problem is?

:welcome:

Takes forever to start, sounds like my missus in the bedroom and about as much use when trying to diagnose your problem.

We need to know exactly what it is doing.
Turning over fast, slow or lumpy ?
What do the plugs look like ?

And for those who have no idea about a 322 exactly what the engine is.

garyao49

Threads
:welcome:

Takes forever to start, sounds like my missus in the bedroom and about as much use when trying to diagnose your problem.

We need to know exactly what it is doing.
Turning over fast, slow or lumpy ?
What do the plugs look like ?

And for those who have no idea about a 322 exactly what the engine is.

The 322 has a 3 cyl. Yanmar gas engine. Turns over fast but takes a long time to fire. Have even run the battery down and had to jump it. Haven't checked the plugs but will do that. If that is what it is will be a eazy fix. Thanks for the tips'

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Turning over fast is a sign of compression leaks.
Compression leak can be a blown head gasket or valves stuck open or just not sealing.

No oil in the cylinder block so no seal between the rings & bore.
or the rings could be worn or broken.

garyao49

Threads
Turning over fast is a sign of compression leaks.
Compression leak can be a blown head gasket or valves stuck open or just not sealing.

No oil in the cylinder block so no seal between the rings & bore.
or the rings could be worn or broken.

Thanks, hope that isn't the problem. If I do a compression check on it what should it be?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have no service information for Yanmar petrol engines, only the deisels fitted to some JD's

garyao49

Threads
Got it fixed, it was the plugs they were shot. Replaced them a couple years ago but my parts store didn't have NGK plugs so went with a cross ref one Put in the right NGK BPR5ES plugs and it starts right up and runs good. Learned a good lesson to use the right plug and check them every year.