Wild Thing Carb Adjustment

freefour

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got a P4018WT Wild Thing given to me. It had rotten fuel lines so got new ones installed along with a new carb, plug, air cleaner, primer bulb, ect.

It starts right up, idles great. Throttle response is good on quick pulses. If I squeeze the throttle about half way it will rev up high and stay. If I throttle wide open it wants to fall flat and die. My guess is that it's not getting enough fuel and needs adjustment. I have the tool on the way, but what should I try first?

I have watched several videos on youtube and other forum responses but I see nothing consistent so I thought I would ask.

Thanks

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

I'd try opening up the high speed needle marked with a H a quarter turn or so (counterclockwise). If it gets worse, try turning it in a 1/4 turn from where it was originally.

If it starts and idles good the low speed needle marked with a L, is OK.

Regards

Jeff

freefour

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I'd try opening up the high speed needle marked with a H a quarter turn or so (counterclockwise). If it gets worse, try turning it in a 1/4 turn from where it was originally.

If it starts and idles good the low speed needle marked with a L, is OK.

Regards

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I ended up turning the H about 1/2 turn CCW and that did the trick. Runs great now!

jp1961

Threads
You're welcome and thanks for the follow up post on your positive outcome.

Regards

Jeff

zman111666

Threads
I'm gonna bet the carburetor has a second butterfly that opens at full throttle. It seems every time I run across one of those types of setups it acts that way. They seem to like the H needle open more. Most carbs are preset at 1 1/4 turns, but the ones with two barrels seem to like 2 - 3 turns from closed. For the low, adjust at idle until the engine goes the fastest, then open it slowly until the engine slows down just a little. Then check how well the motor accelerates. If you hit the gas and it doesn't respond well, use the L screw to fine tune until you get good throttle response.